Posted to users@buildr.apache.org by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com> on 2009/03/16 23:57:30 UTC

Update to site and documentation

Last week I switched our documentation system to use Jekyll[1]. Before the
switch we used Docter to generate the Web site from Textile documents and
HAML templates. Jekyll replaces that with Textile documents and Liquid
templates.

The main reason for the switch: I have a strong preference to maintain as
little code as possible, and since I was the one maintaining Docter, I was
also always on the lookup to replace it with other people's code. Jekyll was
built for Github page[2], so it's bound to get more care and attention. It's
also, for those of you using Github pages, one less tool to learn.

The only change to the Textile files was the title/layout header that Jekyll
requires and using different tags to markup code snippets. Syntax
highlighting is now done by the more powerful Pygments, a Python app. PDF
generation still done by PrinceXML.

If you like the idea of using Textile to generate HTML and PDF, there are a
few more tips on my blog[3].

Another change, we're not using the Hanna template for the API documentation
(RDocs). If you look at the left-side navigation pane[4], you'll notice a
search bar that does as-you-type method search across all classes/modules.

While on the subject of documentation, the Web site (and PDF) have two
sections called Recipes and Troubleshooting. The Wiki has two sections
called "Buildr How Tos" and "Common Problems and Solutions". I'd like to
consolidate both.

The Wiki is much easier to edit than the Web site, so my preference right
now is to consolidate these duplicates and move them over to the Wiki, with
a link from the Web site navigation. Where it says Recipes right now it will
say HowTo and link to the Wiki instead of another page on the site.

The downside is that these two pages will no longer be part of the PDF.

Assaf

[1] http://github.com/mojombo/jekyll/
[2] http://pages.github.com/
[3]
http://blog.labnotes.org/2009/03/14/buildr-how-we-generate-the-documentation-web-site-and-pdf/
[4] http://buildr.apache.org/rdoc/

Re: Update to site and documentation

Posted by Alex Boisvert <bo...@intalio.com>.
I've uploaded a new version of the website + PDF which should fix this
now.   It should get sync'ed to the main server and the mirrors within a
couple hours.

alex

Posted by Alex Boisvert <bo...@intalio.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Huiskamp <je...@karoshealth.com>.

Posted by Alex Boisvert <bo...@intalio.com>.
On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com> wrote:

> We have Recipes and Buildr How Tos. I'd like to consolidate these.
>
> We have Troubleshooting and Common Problems and Solutions. I'd like to
> consolidate these.
>
> That means out of the site/PDF and onto the Wiki.

Then I wholeheartedly agree.

alex

Re: Update to site and documentation

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.
On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 5:52 AM, Alex Boisvert <bo...@intalio.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com> wrote:
>
> > Last week I switched our documentation system to use Jekyll[1]. Before
> the
> > switch we used Docter to generate the Web site from Textile documents and
> > HAML templates. Jekyll replaces that with Textile documents and Liquid
> > templates.
>

> Nice work!  I'm happy to use a documentation system that has more traction
> while retaining the character of Docter.
>
> While on the subject of documentation, the Web site (and PDF) have two
> > sections called Recipes and Troubleshooting. The Wiki has two sections
> > called "Buildr How Tos" and "Common Problems and Solutions". I'd like to
> > consolidate both.
>

> My preference would be to keep them separate (recipes vs troubleshooting)
> since I think they are used under different situations.

That question didn't come out right.

Posted by Alex Boisvert <bo...@intalio.com>.