Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Anselm Hook <an...@hook.org> on 2003/01/22 10:05:17 UTC

[users@httpd] activex

I can't seem to serve activex components from apache.  My browser claims
that the component is invalid - that it doesn't have the requested
methods.

One would imagine that serving activex from apache should be essentially
transparent - that Apache wouldn't have to really be involved in the
process at all.  But I'm finding that activex components cannot be served
from Apache in a default install - although the same activex components
can be served from IIS - and despite various usenet comments I've seen
that blithly state that "it should not matter what server you use".

I have 3 installations of Apache on different domains, and one
installation locally.  The remote installations are Apache 1.3 on OpenBSD
3.2 boxes and the local installation is Apache 2.0 on a Windows 2000 box.
All installations are fresh as of Jan 22 2003.

The activex samples come from a recent tutorial - one is a dll and one
is an exe (neither can be served successfully under apache):

  http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/06/rich/default.aspx

>From IIS these examples work fine, and from Apache the logs do show that
they are requested and presumably sent to the client (although one of my
machines consistently reports a broken pipe - suggesting that the client
end has already decided against running the app even before it finishes
being shipped over).

The error on the client IE explorer side is "object doesn't support this
property" - this is just javascript being unable to deal with the object.

Tried various things:

1) I tried packing the components in a cab file and signing the cab file.

2) I noodled around with "codebase" versus "classid".

3) Searched extensively over google in the last couple of days...

4) Dug around to see if there was some kind of mimetype that I had to add
to Apache - but I could not find anything authoritative.

5) Found comments from others with this problem but the answers tend to be
in the category of "eeww, activex sucks" or "there is no problem".

6) Dug around on the apache site - Tomcat has some citations but I'm not
using that app.

So, any insights or answers are greatly appreciated.

One of my apache servers has a copy here:

  http://209.115.250.14/Puzzle.html

Thanks tons,

 - a