Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remo rahman <re...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/21 10:28:49 UTC

tomcat connector

I'm developing an application which is a java servlet, deployed on tomcat 5.5
Now, I want my application to take raw data from the client through
sockets, & for that it has to make a socket connection and listen that
port for data.

 I've heard that we can create Connectors in Tomcat, which can listen
to any protocol type of request i.e. Http, Telnet or any of
application protocol.

 In my case I need a Connector which can listen to a socket for raw
data type requests…

And, I can hook my application (or servlet) with that Connector & can
listen to those requests which are coming on that connection.

But, as a solution I want my client to be a simple Telnet tool, which
can send requests on the port, I've configured for my Connector.

But, till now I've seen tomcat entertaining Http requests only.

Please suggest,

- How to implement this in tomcat 5.5

- Is there any built-in connector available

- Is it possible to make a custom connector for this scenario

Looking forward to your comments & suggestions

Re: tomcat connector

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
You need to implement your own ProtocolHandler
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/catalina/docs/api/org/apache
/coyote/ProtocolHandler.html, which will hand the Request & Response off to
the Adapter that Tomcat hands it when it is ready for Tomcat to process
them.  You'll probably also want to implement an ActionHook as well.

The simplest place to start is to take a look at
org.apache.coyote.memory.MemoryProtocolHandler.

[...]

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above as the intended recipient(s), and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not an intended recipient, you may not read, copy, or distribute this message or any attachment. If you received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and then delete all copies of this message and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent through the Internet is not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive information, such as social security numbers, account numbers, personal identification numbers and passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail.