Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ben Jackson <be...@incomumdesign.com> on 2005/06/28 12:27:50 UTC

One repository per project or one to rule them all?

Currently I have all of my projects in one SVN repository. This seemed
like a good idea at first as there were some shared code libraries that
were used across multiple projects, but the log is getting cluttered,
and I'm thinking it might be a good idea to split the repository by
project. Is this a good idea? Thanks,

Ben
___________________
Ben Jackson
Diretor de Desenvolvimento

ben@incomumdesign.com
http://www.incomumdesign.com

RE: One repository per project or one to rule them all?

Posted by Lieven Govaerts <lg...@mobsol.be>.
I have a repository for each project I'm working on. Benefits for me are
improved speed of some actions ( log ) and clear repository revision number.

In combination with mod_dav_svn's SVNParentPath property it's simple
to setup also.

Moving from multiple projects in one repo to one per project is easy using
svnadmin dump & the dumpfilter script. Only problem with that script is that
it leaves empty revisions in the extracted repository.

Lieven.

Posted by Ben Jackson <be...@incomumdesign.com>.

Posted by Scott Lawrence <sl...@pingtel.com>.

Posted by Frank Gruman <fg...@verizon.net>.
I have three pretty large projects that do occassionally have some very
large commits.  When I first setup I had all in one repository, and the
log viewing took a long time.  It was almost painful.  So I broke them
out into separate repositories.  The very few files that do get shared
can be hand modified on the individual developer workstation and
committed into each repository (yes, two commits instead of one).  But I
have less than 10 shared files out of repositories containing at least
2500 files.  So it works for me.

Now, log viewing works great, backup jobs are easy to monitor, managing
of the projects is easier, and we are all happy as clams at high tide.
Granted - some of these benefits are my perceptions, but we use it
because it allowed us to be flexible.  And THAT, my friends, is why I
like Subversion.

$.02.

Regards,
Frank

Posted by Lieven Govaerts <lg...@mobsol.be>.
Dale,

moving between projects is not that difficult, it's just not doable with the
standard
svn tool.

Moving a certain folder from one repo to another can be done in two steps:

svnadmin dump /path/to/sourcerepo | svndumpfilter include
/trunk/folder/to/move > dumpoffolder
svnadmin load  /path/to/targetrepo < dumpoffolder

'dumpoffolder' contains the full history of that one folder, with all other
folders filtered out.

Only disadvantage is that all empty revisions are not filtered out, so
depending on the size
and lifetime of your sourcerepo, your target repo's revision nr. can
increase a lot.

Lieven.

Posted by Dale Worley <dw...@pingtel.com>.