Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com> on 2009/03/19 17:20:21 UTC

first draft 10.5 release notes

Hi,

Attached is the first draft for the release notes, which I made yesterday.

I noticed two more issues were resolved as fixed in 10.5 since this,
so the list of fixed bugs is a little out of date,  but I think a few
more issues will get fixed before the scheduled initial build next
week.

Please give your input about the features and release notes part or
anything else you note.

Thanks,
Myrna

P.S. also attaching diffs for NOTICE and releaseSummary.xml files.

Re: first draft 10.5 release notes

Posted by Kristian Waagan <Kr...@Sun.COM>.
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached is the first draft for the release notes, which I made yesterday.
>
> I noticed two more issues were resolved as fixed in 10.5 since this,
> so the list of fixed bugs is a little out of date,  but I think a few
> more issues will get fixed before the scheduled initial build next
> week.
>
> Please give your input about the features and release notes part or
> anything else you note.

Hi Myrna,

I suggest to add a link to the wiki-page I just created for the
in-memory back end:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/InMemoryBackEndPrimer

Feel free to ask questions about, comment on or add information to the
primer.

Kristian

Posted by Mamta Satoor <ms...@gmail.com>.
Myrna, I will look at more indepth later but a quick initial look at
the release notes html looks good.

thanks,
Mamta

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Myrna,

In addition to the comments which Kathey makes, I would add the following:

- I would amend the description of SQL Roles as follows:

"SQL Roles. SQL roles (as described in SQL 2003 and errata) are useful
for administering privileges for groups of users. Administering roles is
generally less error-prone than administering privileges for individual
users. SQL Roles are defined in Feature T331 "Basic roles" and Feature
T332 "Extended roles". Derby 10.5 implements a subset of T331, plus
support for CURRENT_ROLE, which is a part of T332."

- Generated Columns: "WHERE clauseSQL" -> "WHERE clause"

- The description of the ALTER COLUMN enhancement seems to have been
truncated.

- We should include 3652 in the list of fixed issues and in the section
of Issues which have release notes.

- Under "Build Environment", I think that we can remove the OSGi
blurb--there's nothing environment-specific about this part of the build
anymore.

Thanks,
-Rick

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.