Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/11 21:28:45 UTC

Maven pom, groupId and version for incubating projects

All,

Is it a requirement or a 'good thing (tm)' to have the following
groupId and version for maven built incubator projects?

e.g. take wicket-parent:

<groupId>org.apache.incubator.wicket</groupid>
<artifactId>wicket-parent</artifactId>
<version>1.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>

Or is it ok to do:

<groupId>org.apache.wicket</groupid>
<artifactId>wicket-parent</artifactId>
<version>1.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>

Or just:

<groupId>org.apache.wicket</groupid>
<artifactId>wicket-parent</artifactId>
<version>1.3-SNAPSHOT</version>

Martijn

--
for <a href="http://www.thebeststuffintheworld.com/stuff/wicket">Wicket</a>
at the <a href="http://www.thebeststuffintheworld.com/">Best Stuff in

Re: Re: Re: Maven pom, groupId and version for incubating projects

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 11/11/06, Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Right.  But if they specify org.apache.wicket:wicket:1.0, and some
> dependency they have has a dependency on
> org.apache.incubator.wicket:wicket:1.0-incubating, they'll end up with
> both.  If the groupId is the same, they'll just the dependency they
> specified.

OK, understood.

Martijn

Re: Re: Maven pom, groupId and version for incubating projects

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
My understanding is the same as Wendy and Stephen's.  Put incubating
in the version (required), not the groupId or artifactId.

Yoav

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.
Right.  But if they specify org.apache.wicket:wicket:1.0, and some
dependency they have has a dependency on
org.apache.incubator.wicket:wicket:1.0-incubating, they'll end up with
both.  If the groupId is the same, they'll just the dependency they
specified.

-Stephen

On 11/11/06, Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/11/06, Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 11/11/06, Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > <groupId>org.apache.incubator.wicket</groupid>
> > > <artifactId>wicket-parent</artifactId>
> > > <version>1.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
> >
> > I think that's a bad thing, as upon the first release after
> > graduation, the groupId will change, and therefore your pre-post &
> > graduation artifacts will be considered to be totally different.  This
> > will expose problems to users of your artifacts because Maven can't
> > prevent them from getting two different versions of wicket.
>
> But that is the same as for changing the version. Either way people
> *have* to change their pom's to reflect the new release.
>
> Martijn

Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com

Re: Re: Maven pom, groupId and version for incubating projects

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.
On 11/11/06, Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Is it a requirement or a 'good thing (tm)' to have the following
> groupId and version for maven built incubator projects?
>
> e.g. take wicket-parent:
>
> <groupId>org.apache.incubator.wicket</groupid>
> <artifactId>wicket-parent</artifactId>
> <version>1.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>

I think that's a bad thing, as upon the first release after
graduation, the groupId will change, and therefore your pre-post &
graduation artifacts will be considered to be totally different.  This
will expose problems to users of your artifacts because Maven can't
prevent them from getting two different versions of wicket.

> Or is it ok to do:
>
> <groupId>org.apache.wicket</groupid>
> <artifactId>wicket-parent</artifactId>
> <version>1.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>

My understanding is that this is the policy agreed upon here.  It's
how we're doing it in Abdera.

-Stephen

> Or just:
>
> <groupId>org.apache.wicket</groupid>
> <artifactId>wicket-parent</artifactId>
> <version>1.3-SNAPSHOT</version>
>
> Martijn
>
> --
> for <a href="http://www.thebeststuffintheworld.com/stuff/wicket">Wicket</a>
> at the <a href="http://www.thebeststuffintheworld.com/">Best Stuff in
> the World!</a>

Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com

Re: Maven pom, groupId and version for incubating projects

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.
Good point! :)

-Stephen

--
Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com

Re: Maven pom, groupId and version for incubating projects

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
As long as it makes some sense in english am ok :) hopefully noone
will i18n-ize the name of the file :)

-- dims

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 11/16/06, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> On Nov 15, 2006, at 10:55 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>

> > On 15 Nov 06, at 8:34 PM 15 Nov 06, Craig L Russell wrote:
> >
> >> Hate to quibble, but incubating is a gerund used as an adjective. ;-)
> >>
> >> I also think of alpha and beta as adjectives also, as in "the
> >> alpha version", alpha being an adjective modifying version.
> >>
> >> Bottom line, I like incubating, as it describes the release, as
> >> opposed to incubator which isn't very descriptive.
> >>

> > Make up what you like, it's really only important that they all be
> > done the same way.
>
> I hate to be querulous, but why is it important that all be done the
> same way? "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" --
> Emerson.
>
> What makes this consistency an important, wise, or necessary one?

The point of a repository is to be structured - so consistency in
things enhances the value of the repository. Plus things are less
confusing and easier to learn when there's a clear simple option
rather than a compromise 'put whatever you want in there provided it
... '.

Hen

Re: Maven pom, groupId and version for incubating projects

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Jason,

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.
I think incubating here is being used in noun form as a gerund... ;)

-Stephen

On 11/15/06, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
> On 12 Nov 06, at 6:17 PM 12 Nov 06, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> > incubating appears to be the more common - let's make incubating
> > our standard.
> >

> As a qualifier a noun should be used like alpha, beta, milestone. No
> one generally uses verbs in a version like incubating. Also because
> it's just the version we're using you might want 1.0-SNAPSHOT-apache-
> incubator if you want to be entirely clear.
>
> Jason.
>
> > Hen
> >
> > On 11/12/06, Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Abdera uses incubating.
> >>
> >> -Stephen

> >> groupId

> >> "incubating" in

> >> (incubating) or

> >> incubating.

> >> --
> >> Stephen Duncan Jr
> >> www.stephenduncanjr.com

Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com

Re: Maven pom, groupId and version for incubating projects

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.
Abdera uses incubating.

-Stephen

On 11/11/06, Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com> wrote:
> On Saturday November 11 2006 3:51 pm, Wendy Smoak wrote:
> > On 11/11/06, Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Or is it ok to do:
> > >
> > > <groupId>org.apache.wicket</groupid>
> > > <artifactId>wicket-parent</artifactId>
> > > <version>1.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
> >
> > From a Maven point of view, this one is preferable so that the groupId
> > and artifactId will not have to change after graduation.
> >
> > It also meets the requirement (convention?) of having "incubating" in
> > the artifact name.
>
> Next question:
>
> Should it be:
> 1.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT
> or:
> 1.3-incubator-SNAPSHOT
>
> Basically, is it supposed to be what the project is doing (incubating) or
> where the artifact came from (the incubator)?   Noun or verb?
>
> CXF and Tuscany are currently using incubator.   Yoko is using incubating.
>
> Does it matter?
>
> --
> J. Daniel Kulp
> Principal Engineer
> IONA
> P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194   F:781-902-8001
> daniel.kulp@iona.com

Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com

Re: Maven pom, groupId and version for incubating projects

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 11/11/06, Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com> wrote:
> CXF and Tuscany are currently using incubator.   Yoko is using incubating.
>
> Does it matter?

Nah.  -- justin

Re: Maven pom, groupId and version for incubating projects

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.