Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by "Simonin, Bradley K. (Brad)" <br...@psl.nmsu.edu> on 2004/08/10 16:51:04 UTC

Jakarta Struts with Slide.

Hello.

We are embarking on project where were we want to have a
Model-View-Controller Java based Servlet application for a content
management system. How well does Slide integrate into Struts?

So, lets say our Model would be the data stored in Slide, the view would
be Servlets and/or JSP, and the controller would be Struts.  Is this a
workable solution.

Thank you in advance,

--Brad Simonin

Re: Jakarta Struts with Slide.

Posted by Walter <wa...@builditglobal.com>.
Hi Brad,

We are a small company who has started to create a CMS project out of
the following technologies:

Operating Systems: Linux
Web Development: HTML, XML, JavaScript
Web Based User Interface: Tapestry Framework with XSLT
Databases: MySQL
WebServer: Tomcat
Server Side: Java, Java Servlets, JDBC, JavaBeans
Unit Tests: JUnit, Checkstyle
Acceptance Testing: HttpUnit
XP methodologies in refactoring, continuous integration, collective code
ownership, pair programming, coding standards

We have recently integrated Slide 2.0 into our framework and are
planning to build the Phase II part of our CMS with the 2.1 release of
Slide and Projector.  However, we are not yet sure.  Plus, we used API
solely in our development, that is we access Slide directly from code,
not via WebDAV.  So we are limited and I do not want to change a lot to
find another product for Phase II.  I wanted this CMS and future portal
to be purely web based on Java.

Here is what we are planning for the Phase II of our project.

Document editing workflow:
* Download and Edit files locally with lock/unlock cycle

* Automated/manual notifications on document change

Document collaboraration:
* Comments, notes and discussion threads for folders and documents.

Search:
* Document metadata search (filename, date, author, title, description,
etc.)
* Full-text search only in .txt -- http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/
o .html, .pdf, .doc, .xls files -- need to use custom text extractor,
see http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/
o .rtf, .ppt
o .dwf, .dwg, .dxf

Audit trail:
* Document versioning

We have completed the Projects and Folders Tree to Store Documents, User
Permissions for Folders and a Document Activity Log in our Phase I.  We
have used the Model-View-Controller design as well.  We decided against JSP.

I noticed that you are with a University and I would be happy to donate
our entire CVS and work to your project if you feel it would be helpful
to have the beginnings of what you are looking to design.  We used
Tapestry so you will need to check into Tapestry to see why we feel it
was the best solution for our application as purely web based.  I'm not
the technical expert on the project and am just learning about Open
Source technologies myself.

If I can help you and your students, please let me know!

Thanks.
Walt.

Posted by r d <r_...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,
We have prototyped using struts and slide webdav api. It was just plainly calling webdav api through struts actions. JSP was the view component.
I have some questions though

>We use versioned
>XML documents to persist ALL our data and then use Custom Stores to
>synchronize selected data to RDBMS or Legacy Applications.
So were you persisting to both slide store and custome store? I am not clear.

>All the Struts Forms can be XML encoded and saved to the Slide repository and
>retrieved from the repository through our Slide Client.

I am not clear why and how you are doing it? could you please elaborate a little?

Thanks,
rd.

Michael Oliver <ol...@sourceonenet.com> wrote:
Yes!

We are doing exactly that. We created a helper class based on the Slide
WebDAV client that we use to access our Slide Content. We use versioned
XML documents to persist ALL our data and then use Custom Stores to
synchronize selected data to RDBMS or Legacy Applications. All the
Struts Forms can be XML encoded and saved to the Slide repository and
retrieved from the repository through our Slide Client.

Michael Oliver
CTO
Alarius Systems LLC
3325 N. Nellis Blvd, #1