Posted to torque-user@db.apache.org by peter riegersperger <ri...@subnet.at> on 2003/02/15 14:24:18 UTC

a licensing question

Re: a licensing question

Posted by peter riegersperger <ri...@subnet.at>.

Re: OT: Re: a licensing question

Posted by peter riegersperger <ri...@subnet.at>.

Re: OT: Re: a licensing question

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Check the mail archive of general@jakarta.apache.org for the recent
discussions re the maven jar repository.  Somewhere in there you will find
details of an asf mailing list dedicated to discussing licensing issues (a
search for "licensing@" should turn something up).

HTH,

Scott
--
Scott Eade
Backstage Technologies Pty. Ltd.

Posted by peter riegersperger <ri...@subnet.at>.

Re: OT: Re: a licensing question

Posted by Kurt Schrader <ks...@karmalab.org>.
On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, peter riegersperger wrote:

> whoa, licensing issues. always make me sea-sick.

Me too.

> so, why would this keep me from licensing my project under the gpl (with "my
> project" being my own source code?)

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html
If your project links to Torque then you're in violation.  Stupid eh?

> for one, i could simply not redistribute torque, but tell people to download
> it themselves (that's pretty much what we do when we say people should
> download a jre).

If you need it to build then you're in violation.

> or second, i could include torque in my distribution, as long as i
> explicitely say that torque itself follows a different license scheme.

Nope, because by importing from Torque you've tied yourself to it, so it
must be GPLed as well, which it can't be because of the advertising
clause.  Stupid eh?

Of course you could always do what most people do and just not care about
it.  Or you could relicense under BSD or equivalent.

-Kurt

OT: Re: a licensing question

Posted by peter riegersperger <ri...@subnet.at>.

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 17:43, Kurt Schrader wrote:
> > peter riegersperger wrote:
> > > torque itself is licensed under the apache foundation license, meaning
> > > that i can include the libraries in a gpl'ed project. ok.
>
> Just another note, GPLed projects can't include Apache licensed libraries,
> because of the advertising clause.
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html

whoa, licensing issues. always make me sea-sick.

i guess you refer to:

 * 3. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution,
 *    if any, must include the following acknowledgment:
 *       "This product includes software developed by the
 *        Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/)."
 *    Alternately, this acknowledgment may appear in the software itself,
 *    if and wherever such third-party acknowledgments normally appear.

in the apache software license.
but what about:

 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
 *    the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
 *    distribution.

to me, this clearly indicates that *if* i redistribute the torque-jars, i have
to include two things in my documentation and/or my program:

1. a copy of the asl (and a note that it applies to torque).
2. a note that my project uses torque.

so, why would this keep me from licensing my project under the gpl (with "my
project" being my own source code?)

for one, i could simply not redistribute torque, but tell people to download
it themselves (that's pretty much what we do when we say people should
download a jre). or second, i could include torque in my distribution, as
long as i explicitely say that torque itself follows a different license
scheme.

are these assumptions not correct?

thanks,

rick

- --
|-
| peter riegersperger  <ri...@subnet.at>
|-
| ein windows switcher tagebuch:
| http://forum.subnet.at/viewforum.php?f=22
|-
| subnet
| platform for media art and experimental technologies
|-
| http://www.subnet.at/
|-
| muehlbacherhofweg 5 // 5020 salzburg // austria
|-
| fon/fax +43/662/842 897
|-

Re: a licensing question

Posted by Kurt Schrader <ks...@karmalab.org>.

Re: a licensing question

Posted by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>.
m$ office is licensed under the m$ license .. but not your word or excel
docs

torque is licensed undter the apache license ..

i don't think the generated files fall under the apache license

my 0.02$

martin

Re: a licensing question

Posted by peter riegersperger <ri...@subnet.at>.