Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/02 14:08:04 UTC

Re: Systemd support in 2.4

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 9:22 AM, Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 2:00 AM, Jan Kaluža <jk...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On 09/14/2014 01:21 PM, Martynas Bendorius wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Is there any special reason why mod_systemd and mod_journald (available
>>> in trunk) are not backported to 2.4 yet?
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I think mod_systemd could be proposed for 2.4 branch (maybe even with the
>> changes adding socket activation), but for mod_journald, we would have to
>> backport "modular logging", which breaks the API/ABI and therefore I'm
>> afraid that won't happen in 2.4 branch :(.
>>

> I have an old patch somewhere that doesn't break the API/ABI, and
> accommodates such differences as syslog being built-in in 2.4.x.  I didn't
> realize that anybody besides me actually cared.
>
> I'll try to find time to see how it fits in 2.4.x-HEAD.

I've simply attached it from its state one year ago, not having time to
play with it.  I don't think it is necessary to break the ABI.  syslog
support remains part of core logging instead of in a module.

>> Jan Kaluza
>>

>>  As we have a lot of distributions already using systemd by default
>>> (CentOS/RHEL 7, Fedora, Arch Linux, CoreOS, openSUSE), and more of them
>>> are going to use systemd by default (Debian 8 (Jessie), Ubuntu), it
>>> requires manual patching of apache for the support of systemd/journald.
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>

> --
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/

Re: Systemd support in 2.4

Posted by Jan Kaluža <jk...@redhat.com>.
On 12/06/2014 01:40 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 6:59 AM, Jan Kaluža <jkaluza@redhat.com
> <ma...@redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 12/02/2014 02:08 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
>         On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 9:22 AM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com
>         <ma...@gmail.com>
>         <mailto:trawick@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>>> wrote:
>
>              On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 2:00 AM, Jan Kaluža
>         <jkaluza@redhat.com <ma...@redhat.com>
>              <mailto:jkaluza@redhat.com <ma...@redhat.com>>> wrote:
>
>                  On 09/14/2014 01:21 PM, Martynas Bendorius wrote:
>
>                      Hello,
>
>                      Is there any special reason why mod_systemd and
>         mod_journald
>                      (available
>                      in trunk) are not backported to 2.4 yet?
>

>                  Hi,
>
>                  I think mod_systemd could be proposed for 2.4 branch
>         (maybe even
>                  with the changes adding socket activation), but for
>                  mod_journald, we would have to backport "modular
>         logging", which
>                  breaks the API/ABI and therefore I'm afraid that won't
>         happen in
>                  2.4 branch :(.
>

>              I have an old patch somewhere that doesn't break the
>         API/ABI, and
>              accommodates such differences as syslog being built-in in
>         2.4.x.  I
>              didn't realize that anybody besides me actually cared.
>
>              I'll try to find time to see how it fits in 2.4.x-HEAD.
>

>         I've simply attached it from its state one year ago, not having
>         time to
>         play with it.  I don't think it is necessary to break the ABI.
>         syslog
>         support remains part of core logging instead of in a module.
>

>     I've created my version of the patch based on yours. It includes
>     also more recent commits from trunk related to errorlog providers.
>     Can you try it? I presume you have done that backport, because you
>     are running that somewhere :).
>

> Once upon a time...  What remains in my possession is a test module I
> wrote for testing the interface (attached).
>
> Anyway, is this feature from ap_errorlog_provider lost intentionally?
>
> +    /** Checks syntax of ErrorLog directive argument.
> +     * @param cmd The config directive
> +     * @param arg ErrorLog directive argument (or the empty string if
> +     * no argument was provided)
> +     * @return Error message or NULL on success
> +     * @remark The argument will be stored in the error_fname field
> +     * of server_rec for access later.
> +     */
> +    const char * (*parse_errorlog_arg)(cmd_parms *cmd, const char *arg);
>
> (and code to call it in set_errorlog)

Thanks, I've missed that one when backporting. I've also checked that
now my patch is the same as yours :).

Regards,
Jan Kaluza

Re: Systemd support in 2.4