Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by William Hayes <Wi...@biogenidec.com> on 2012/01/16 17:31:40 UTC

Re: Graduation? - Confluence Wiki option

+1 Regarding using Confluence Wiki for support documentation, knowledge
sharing.

Setting up a wiki for documentation would help a lot - currently the
project is running the website via SVN as far as I can tell, but more
people (including me) will find Confluence more approachable for
documentation.  With their versioning, you can revert back to a previous
version of the documentation if needed, plus you should be able to have an
Official Wiki Rave Space with limited membership and a User-supported Wiki
space with more open membership.

One thing I meant to ask about is how I upload Screenstep tutorials - in
confluence it's trivial.  A Screenstep tutorial (HTML-based) is
essentially a website with a web page, CSS files and image files, but they
have a one-step publishing option into Confluence (or blog sites).

PS - if you don't already know about Screensteps and you ever create
documentation or need to show someone how to do something occasionally -
you owe it to yourself to learn about it.  It even makes creating
screenshot-based documentation fun.  (Alas, I have no investment or
business affiliation with Blue Mango the company that produces it).

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 01/16/2012 05:31 PM, William Hayes wrote:
> +1 Regarding using Confluence Wiki for support documentation, knowledge
> sharing.

I think it is good to mention that the usage and support of *Confluence* at
Apache is less than it was before. Quite a few projects are actually migrating
away from Confluence to the new Apache CMS because maintenance and uptime of
Confluence is or was not very good, nor the mapping to and integration with the
main project website.

I'm not strongly against using Confluence, if the community so desires, but be
aware that Apache infra might be less inclined...

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On Jan 16, 2012 5:42 PM, "William Hayes" <Wi...@biogenidec.com>
wrote:

> Can the iCLA be signed as a clickthrough form in setting up an account on
> the wiki?  Or does it need to be manually signed?

Click throughs are, AIUI, legally meaningless. They are a mechanism to
ensure the user has thought about it.

The rules are the same as for choose, minor contributions don't need an
ICLA significant ones do. The problem with wiki's is that there is no
equivalent to a patch. It's all or nothing.

Note the CMS does have anonymous contributions by patch, both via the UI
and via SVN.

Ross

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.
On 1/16/12 12:42 PM, "William Hayes" <Wi...@biogenidec.com> wrote:

>Can the iCLA be signed as a clickthrough form in setting up an account on
>the wiki?  Or does it need to be manually signed?

They must be recorded with the secretary and can be submitted only via
e-mail, fax, post [1].

That being said, I think that having both official & "unofficial"
(community) documentation might be OK.  It gives the community a low
barrier of entry whilst preserving the integrity of project documentation.
Thoughts?

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/

Posted by William Hayes <Wi...@biogenidec.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.