Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/07 02:50:21 UTC

Planning for Sling 6

All-
It's been mentioned a few times recently that we should release Sling 6
soon, but I'm not clear on what exactly people think needs to be done
before this happens. At some level, we can release Sling 6 at any time -
just take the latest set of released bundles which work together (ok,
that's a bit over-simplified :) ), but I can only imagine that people
have some specific ideas for what should be in Sling 6.

Would it make sense to set aside to discuss this on IRC to discuss this
in real-time? Wiki page? Mailing List Thread? WDYT?

Two comments to kick things off..
* I think we should wait until Jackrabbit 2.1.

* I (?) need to release the maven-launchpad-plugin before Sling 6 can be
released. I'd like to get launchpad:start and launchpad:stop in, but
it's been hard to find the time to do this. These aren't strictly
necessary and can be moved into the next version.

Justin

Re: Planning for Sling 6

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
On 7 Apr 2010, at 10:50, Justin Edelson wrote:

> * I think we should wait until Jackrabbit 2.1.

Just as a release was done of the critical components against JR 1.6 before moving, IMHO we should do the same for JR 2.0. before moving to JR 2.1. That might not be a release of Sling 6, but it was highly beneficial to those who had custom code bound to JR16. (and much appreciated by the Sakai community even thought we have been capturing unofficial timestamped snapshots for a while)

Ian

RE: Planning for Sling 6

Posted by Mike Müller <mi...@mysign.ch>.
>> snip snap
> Yes, we should really aim for a Sling 6 release pretty soon. I see two
> additional things:
> - authentication: we already discussed merging the auth api with the
> Sling API and some other changes. This needs to be done.

I strongly agree on this point, especially because we'll introduce here a
new api/package, which should last for some time without changes which
break the compatibility. The discussion about how to do this ceased a
little bit. I would be happy if we can reach a conclusion here before
a Sling 6 release. See [1] and [2].

[1] http://cwiki.apache.org/SLING/user-authentication.html
[2] http://markmail.org/message/aovh7lll4w6uwepv

best regards
mike

Re: Planning for Sling 6

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Justin Edelson  wrote
> All-
> It's been mentioned a few times recently that we should release Sling 6
> soon, but I'm not clear on what exactly people think needs to be done
> before this happens. At some level, we can release Sling 6 at any time -
> just take the latest set of released bundles which work together (ok,
> that's a bit over-simplified :) ), but I can only imagine that people
> have some specific ideas for what should be in Sling 6.
>
> Would it make sense to set aside to discuss this on IRC to discuss this
> in real-time? Wiki page? Mailing List Thread? WDYT?
>
> Two comments to kick things off..
> * I think we should wait until Jackrabbit 2.1.
>
> * I (?) need to release the maven-launchpad-plugin before Sling 6 can be
> released. I'd like to get launchpad:start and launchpad:stop in, but
> it's been hard to find the time to do this. These aren't strictly
> necessary and can be moved into the next version.

Yes, we should really aim for a Sling 6 release pretty soon. I see two
additional things:
- authentication: we already discussed merging the auth api with the
Sling API and some other changes. This needs to be done.
- workspace support :) As explained I'm not happy with the way it is
atm, so we should continue here.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler