Posted to users@maven.apache.org by mjsell <mj...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/09 00:45:39 UTC

Re: M3 fails to download parent pom

I ran into this today when trying to move to Maven 3.. any news?  Has a
ticket been written?

Re: M3 fails to download parent pom

Posted by mjsell <mj...@gmail.com>.
Ok, it appears that Stephen was right.  We had built up a rather lengthy
settings.xml file filled with repeated repository definitions, etc. to make
older versions of maven work.  When I culled that list down to just the
mirror and a single repository definition to allow for our snapshot
retrieval, M3 successfully retrieved the corporate pom that it would not
pull before.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Re: M3 fails to download parent pom

Posted by mjsell <mj...@gmail.com>.
We have a number of project trees that at their root inherit from a released
version of a corporate pom.  The following diagram should give you an
example of what I am trying to convey.

Module1:1.0-SNAPSHOT (Parent: Corporate Pom:1.0)

+= Module2:1.0-SNAPSHOT (Parent: Module1:1.0-SNAPSHOT)
+= Module3:1.0-SNAPSHOT (Parent: Module1:1.0-SNAPSHOT)

      += Module4 (Parent: Module3:1.0-SNAPSHOT)

Assuming a completely empty local repository, Maven 2.2.1 can build this
project tree properly, pulling the corporate pom from the remote repository,
but Maven 3 can not.  It will not even try to retrieve the corporate pom
from the configured remote repositories, but instead will immediately fail
saying it can't resolve the parent pom.  If I change it to be a SNAPSHOT of
the corporate pom then it appears to properly attempt to pull from the
remote repositories.

Re: M3 fails to download parent pom

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
I don't understand the issue. Please clarify!

/Anders

Posted by mjsell <mj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Here's the contents of settings.xml relevant to our repo manager:

	<mirrors>
		<mirror>
			<id>our-repository</id>
			<name>Maven Repository Manager running on corp.com</name>
			<url>http://repo.corp.com/artifactory/repo</url>
			<mirrorOf>*</mirrorOf>
		</mirror>
	</mirrors>

Martijn

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yes, and that doesn't describe our case.

Company wide parent pom, similar to the ASF parent pom. is a separate
svn project, not linked from any reactor.

Project specific parent pom with submodules. Project parent pom
extends company wide parent pom.

New release of company wide parent pom : going from version 1 to version 2.

Project specific parent pom adjusts version for company wide parent
pom from 1 to 2.

Maven 3 fails to build: it doesn't download version 2 of company wide
parent pom.

Martijn

Posted by MK Tan <mk...@gmail.com>.
Have you go through