Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ben Laurie <be...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk> on 1997/06/21 14:16:35 UTC

Re: pserver on taz?

Alexei Kosut wrote:

> Hmm. I just noticed that the remote-cvs server on hyperreal does not
> appear to be working. In fact, it appears to have been turned off. Its
> line in /etc/inetd.conf has been commented out. It must have been like
> this for a few days, but I hadn't tried anything cvs until today.
>
> Does anyone know why this is? Did I miss an email?

If you did, I did, too.

> It would be nice if it would be turned back on, since I (and other
> people as well, no doubt) make use of it for remote CVS access. For
> some reason I never bothered to figure out, rsh stopped working for
> me a while ago, so the pserver method is the only way remove CVS works
> for me.

I more-or-less have to use pserver - its the only way I can get through my
firewall...

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: pserver on taz?

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
Can't you guys use ssh?  I seem to recall your firewall being socksified
ben, ssh has socks support.  If you haven't tried ssh before I recommend
1.2.17, because every version after that had a flurry of bug reports and
problems reported on the ssh mailing list.  See
<http://www.cs.hut.fi/ssh/>.

install it
setenv CVS_RSH=ssh

That should get you going... that'll prompt you for a password each time
you try to connect.  You can set it up so you're running under the
ssh-agent, but it's more complicated.  I can post examples if anyone
wants.

Dean