Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/18 07:09:30 UTC

[all] m2 release plugin usage

Moving to a separate thread ...

On 5/17/08, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 9:37 PM, Niall Pemberton
>  <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 6:14 PM, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >> Thanks for your time Phil, comments below ...
>  >>
>  >> On 5/16/08, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip/>
>  >>>  I guess its the release plugin that does this:
>  >>>  <connection>scm:svn:http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/scxml/tags/SCXML_0_8_RC2</connection>
>  >>>   ?
>  >>>
>  >> <snap/>
>  >>
>  >> Yes, but under my tutelage, so I'll take all the blame on this one :-)
>  >>
>  >> I did spend some time thinking about this beforehand. Of these two approaches:
>  >>
>  >> 1. Tag each RC as if it were the final / release tag. Delete tag if
>  >> RC++, and redo.
>  >> 2. Tag RCs as RCs. Copy tag for passing RC as release tag.
>  >>
>  >> ... I personally prefer the latter, since:
>  >>
>  >>  * I don't like the idea of a release tag existing before a release
>  >> passes muster
>  >>  * I think its good housekeeping to retain RC tags
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>>  The site builds fine from the source distro, but will point to the RC2
>  >>>  tag in project info.  I guess this is OK, since the tag is going to be
>  >>>  copied on release.
>  >>>
>  >> <snip/>
>  >>
>  >> Yes, it'll be copied to SCXML_0_8 if vote passes. The way the Commons
>  >> SCXML site on c.a.o is deployed, its always the latest / snapshot
>  >> (there are separate pointers in site navbar for release documentation,
>  >> such as Javadocs), so the c.a.o site will have the correct bits in
>  >> project info. Folks building from 0.8 source will indeed get the RC2
>  >> tag (the tag will not be removed).
>  >
>  > IMO this is another reason to not use the release plugin - along with
>  > the facts that 1) if you don't remember to do a "dryRun" it may remove
>  > the license header and 2) it generates an awful lot of commit noise to
>  > just change the version number. The only downside to manually
>  > releasing IMo is that you have to hand-edit the maven-metadata.xml.
>  >
>  > While its not a show-stopper that the pom points to the RC2 tag - its
>  > not desirable at all - but if people to want to use the release plugin
>  > then IMO it would be much better to do the svn tag manually and skip
>  > the "release:prepare" step altogether. AIUI you can run the
>  > release:perform and specify the tag on the command line, something
>  > like
>  >
>  >    mvn -Prc -Dtag=SCXML_0_8_RC2 release:perform
>
> My mistake, I think its connectionUrl, rather than tag:
>  http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/examples/perform-release.html

<snap/>

Cool (if it works, that is).

The release:prepare goal yields much pain for negligible gain. There
are benefits to using the release:perform goal (it'll stage the RC
artifacts, write repo metadata, stage site without further
intervention). So the suggested approach to manually tag and then use
release:perform seems worth trying (TBD whether the SCM URLs need to
actually be modified at all when tagging manually).

If no one else tries this, I'll make such an attempt when I RM next
(maybe JEXL needs a 1.2 soon after all ;-)

-Rahul

Re: [all] m2 release plugin usage

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 5/18/08, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 6:09 AM, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Moving to a separate thread ...
>  >
>  > On 5/17/08, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 9:37 PM, Niall Pemberton
>  >>  <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip/>
>  >>  >
>  >>  > While its not a show-stopper that the pom points to the RC2 tag - its
>  >>  > not desirable at all - but if people to want to use the release plugin
>  >>  > then IMO it would be much better to do the svn tag manually and skip
>  >>  > the "release:prepare" step altogether. AIUI you can run the
>  >>  > release:perform and specify the tag on the command line, something
>  >>  > like
>  >>  >
>  >>  >    mvn -Prc -Dtag=SCXML_0_8_RC2 release:perform
>  >>
>  >> My mistake, I think its connectionUrl, rather than tag:
>  >>  http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/examples/perform-release.html
>  >>
>  > <snap/>
>  >
>  > Cool (if it works, that is).
>

> I've used it once a while ago - the first time I did an m2 release
>  (commons-skin) when it failed part way through the process I used the
>  -DconnectionUrl to complete the process
>    http://markmail.org/message/gydf32x6myvqtidj
<snap/>

I see, that probably means you had the release.properties hanging
around then. Anyway, I'll try this myself, thanks.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
> [...]
>>  >
>>  > While its not a show-stopper that the pom points to the RC2 tag - its
>>  > not desirable at all - but if people to want to use the release plugin
>>  > then IMO it would be much better to do the svn tag manually and skip
>>  > the "release:prepare" step altogether. AIUI you can run the
>>  > release:perform and specify the tag on the command line, something
>>  > like
>>  >
>>  >    mvn -Prc -Dtag=SCXML_0_8_RC2 release:perform
>>
>> My mistake, I think its connectionUrl, rather than tag:
>>  http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/examples/perform-release.html
>>
> <snap/>
>
> Cool (if it works, that is).

I've used it once a while ago - the first time I did an m2 release
(commons-skin) when it failed part way through the process I used the
Niall