Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Chandra, Ramesh H.S. IN BLR STS" <Ra...@siemens.com> on 2015/05/20 13:21:13 UTC

Compiling Subversion

Hello,

            The OS is "Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Server".

            I have download subversion-1.8.13 tar.gz package. After that, using the "alien" CLI, I converted the tar package to .deb package. I placed this .deb package under /var/cache/apt/archives and using dpkg -i <.deb package name> the package got installed under /subversion-1.8.13 directory. But the exes (svn, svnadmin) were not present.

            I have gcc-4.9 compiler on this machine. BTW, I copied gcc-4.9 as "gcc".

            I am trying to build the sources. When I execute ./configure from the subversion directory, it is giving me the following error:

root@INBLRKUN1001:/subversion-1.8.13# ./configure

configure: Configuring Subversion 1.8.13

configure: creating config.nice

checking for gcc... gcc

checking whether the C compiler works... no

configure: error: in `/subversion-1.8.13':

See `config.log' for more details

root@INBLRKUN1001:/subversion-1.8.13#<mailto:root@INBLRKUN1001:/subversion-1.8.13#>

            So, how do I build subversion and get all the executables?

            NOTE : In our company, there is a policy that internet access will not be given to machines having Ubuntu OS. So, I cannot use "apt-get install <Package name>" .

            Please let me know how to proceed.

Thanks and Regards,
Ramesh Chandra

Re: Compiling Subversion

Posted by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca>.
Chandra, Ramesh H.S. IN BLR STS wrote:

>             I am trying to build the sources. When I execute ./configure
> from the subversion directory, it is giving me the following error:

> root@INBLRKUN1001:/subversion-1.8.13# ./configure
> configure: Configuring Subversion 1.8.13
> configure: creating config.nice
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler works... no

You do not have a complete software build environment.  Your compiler is
missing key pieces (or not installed at all).

>             So, how do I build subversion and get all the executables?

>             NOTE : In our company, there is a policy that internet
> access will not be given to machines having Ubuntu OS. So, I cannot use
> “apt-get install <Package name>” .

You're going to have to spend a long time working around this
restriction to download the many packages necessary to support building
a complex package like Subversion.  "apt-get build-essential" would
normally get you started, and that covers a bare minimum ~20+ packages
just for doing general package-building.  I just checked a recent Debian
(Ubuntu is mostly Debian, so the package dependencies are usually almost
identical), and Subversion's own build requirements add another 124
packages.  Also note that this was on a VM I periodically do custom PHP
builds on, so there are probably as many as 30 -dev packages that
overlap with the full set necessary for building Subversion, already
installed.

Or you're going to have to spend quite a bit less time working around
this restriction to download prebuild Subversion packages and the
handful of dependencies it needs to run.

-kgd

Re: Compiling Subversion

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 7:21 AM, Chandra, Ramesh H.S. IN BLR STS
<Ra...@siemens.com> wrote:

>             NOTE : In our company, there is a policy that internet access
> will not be given to machines having Ubuntu OS. So, I cannot use “apt-get
> install <Package name>” .

You need to talk to your admins about setting up an internal Ubuntu
apt mirror. It requires some internal disk space, and say 100 Gig to
mirror a few versions of designated Ubuntu repositories, and a regular
cron job to update the mirror. I publish some for Scientific Linux and
EPEL repositories at https://github.com/nkadel/nkadel-rsync-scripts,
and I'd welcome updates to support Ubuntu.