Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de> on 2004/03/24 23:58:18 UTC

Re: outdate

* Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 nd@apache.org wrote:
> >   +<!-- English Revision: 1.12 (outdated: 1.13) -->
>
> Not that I'm volunteering to do the work, but...
>
> Wouldn't this be better using real xml fields, which we could then
> transform in the docs so that readers of translations would know if they
> were reading the most recent version?

Well, BTDT.
Here's a suggestion:

http://www.apache.org/~nd/manual/ru/new_features_2_0.html

The message needs to be translated, of course.
Opinions?

nd

Re: outdate

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Yoshiki Hayashi wrote:
> I think it would be nicer if the revision numbers are in it,
> like: Original revision: 1.3  Translated revision: 1.1
> Many people probably have no clue what revision number means
> but it will give you a rough idea of how out of date the
> translation is.

I tend to disagree.  Revision numbers are very difficult to interpret
(especially with branches) and provide virtually no information to docs
readers.  Yes, they could be slightly useful for developers.

Joshua.

Re: outdate

Posted by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
Yoshiki wrote:

> André Malo <nd...@perlig.de> writes:

>>> Wouldn't this be better using real xml fields, which we could then
>>> transform in the docs so that readers of translations would know if they
>>> were reading the most recent version?
>>
>> Well, BTDT.
>> Here's a suggestion:
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/~nd/manual/ru/new_features_2_0.html
>>
>> The message needs to be translated, of course.
>> Opinions?

> I think it would be nicer if the revision numbers are in it,
> like: Original revision: 1.3  Translated revision: 1.1
> Many people probably have no clue what revision number means
> but it will give you a rough idea of how out of date the
> translation is.

I don't think so. As Joshua said, revision numbers are for developers
only. Users might misinterpret them with release numbers. And if I
understand the discussion right, the revision numbers are stored in the
xml file. This well for developers.

Kess

Re: outdate

Posted by Yoshiki Hayashi <yo...@xemacs.org>.

--
Yoshiki Hayashi

Re: outdate

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, [ISO-8859-15] André Malo wrote:
> Here's a suggestion:
>
> http://www.apache.org/~nd/manual/ru/new_features_2_0.html

Looks great.

I'd probably have a slight preference for something a little more curt,
such as
"This translation may be out of date.  Check the English version for
recent changes."
or something along those lines.

Joshua.