Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by "Miller, Timothy" <Ti...@childrens.harvard.edu> on 2014/04/17 18:27:22 UTC

lvg entries

The LVG annotator creates an enormous number of "lemmas" for every
WordToken in the CAS, and I'm wondering what the original purpose was? I
think this is probably a minor bottleneck for speed but mostly a pretty
big space hog (at least 50% of the space of xmi files in my tests).

As of right now I'm not sure if any downstream components are using
these lemmas, and on a manual inspection the precision seems to be
pretty abysmal (meaning most of them are nonsensical as lexical
variants), so as I said, just wondering if we can revisit why cTAKES
generates so many and whether that component can be optimized.

Thanks
Tim

Re: lvg entries

Posted by andy mcmurry <mc...@gmail.com>.
+1 false ... I think

I just wonder what side effects there might be to tweaking LVG

RE: lvg entries

Posted by "Finan, Sean" <Se...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
+1 false

Re: lvg entries

Posted by "Miller, Timothy" <Ti...@childrens.harvard.edu>.

Re: lvg entries

Posted by andy mcmurry <mc...@gmail.com>.

RE: lvg entries

Posted by "Masanz, James J." <Ma...@mayo.edu>.
You are right, I was thinking of the field called canonicalForm.

normlizedForm is set by ExtractionPrepAnnotator.java - but if I remember right, that's at the end of the pipelines that it's included in. And it's set to either the canonicalForm (if there is one) or the coveredText

Not sure what the intent there was.

Hmm... I don't see normalizedForm filled in. I see LVG filling in
canonicalForm, is it possible that's what you're thinking of?  (Not that
I know what the difference is or is supposed to be, just going off what
I see in my xmis.)
Tim

Re: lvg entries

Posted by "Miller, Timothy" <Ti...@childrens.harvard.edu>.

RE: lvg entries

Posted by "Masanz, James J." <Ma...@mayo.edu>.

Re: lvg entries

Posted by "Miller, Timothy" <Ti...@childrens.harvard.edu>.

RE: lvg entries

Posted by "Masanz, James J." <Ma...@mayo.edu>.
Before the switch to OpenNLP (which was done before the first opensource release of cTAKES), I believe the Lemma annotations were used by the POS tagger and/or phrasal parser.  As far as I know, that was the original intention of the Lemmas. I believe they were turned off by default for some releases, until someone started to use them (or at least look at maybe using them)

That's all just from memory. We'd have to look through histories to see when things changed.

I don't think the Lemma annotations were ever used for dictionary lookup. That used the (single) output of the normalizer function of the LVG component

Thanks James. Does it ring a bell to you that the original intention was
something like query expansion for a dictionary lookup?

Re: lvg entries

Posted by "Miller, Timothy" <Ti...@childrens.harvard.edu>.

RE: lvg entries

RE: lvg entries

Posted by "Finan, Sean" <Se...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Those variants are not used by the dictionary lookup.  I did look at them to see if it was worthwhile for the new dictionary, but they are all over the place so I passed.
Posted by "Miller, Timothy" <Ti...@childrens.harvard.edu>.

Re: lvg entries

Posted by "Dligach, Dmitriy" <Dm...@childrens.harvard.edu>.

Re: lvg entries