Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by "adam.gibbons" <ad...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/01 15:44:15 UTC

Really basic help...

Hi there!

I'm extreamly new to Whicket, trying to put together my first sample
application based on the AuthenticatedWebSession example.

I have everything up and running nicely now, but I'd like to make a few
simple changes.

On the LoginPage, there are feilds for username, password and a check box
for 'remeber me'.

I want the username feild to be empty, but it always says "support", I can
not find anywhere in the code where this is set or any way to change it to
something I want.

In my page's constructor I can get the TextField object for the username
feild using get("signInPanel:signInForm:username"), but I don't see any
methods for getting or setting the value...
I'm sure i'm missing something very obvious!! Any help would be much
appriciated!!

Kind regards,
Adam

Re: Really basic help...

Posted by Martin Makundi <ma...@koodaripalvelut.com>.
Look at https://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/type-safe-testing-in-wicket.html
to get rid of fragile string:component:paths.

Also look at compoundpropertymodel (try avoid using it for
suprisitivity) and propertymodel:
* https://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/working-with-wicket-models.html

**
Martin

Re: Really basic help...

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Did you check your browser settings? Often auto-fill will fill in the fields.

Martijn

Re: Really basic help...

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Martin Makundi <
martin.makundi@koodaripalvelut.com> wrote:

> In my opinnion best way to learn is by trial and error ;)

True.... but:

Not the most profitable way, though ;)

That's the problem.  Wicket makes it very easy to get up-and-running.  And
in doing so, you will definitely shoot yourself in the foot in a way that
kills the maintainability that a well-written Wicket app would give you.  As
Brian said, 98% of the time [1] this is caused by not understanding models -
something I've seen at literally dozens of companies as I teach and consult
on Wicket projects.

[1] - It is true that 76.98% of statistics are made up on the spot.

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://wickettraining.com

Re: Really basic help...

Posted by Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org>.
On Nov 2, 2010, at 12:31 AM, James Carman wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 12:11 AM, Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org> wrote:
>>
>> FWIW, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem describes what I was talking about here.
>
> And I had already trained 5 monkeys to code Wicket.  I thought you were serious!

Please don't create competition, I'm already having enough trouble keeping my job!

Re: Really basic help...

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: Really basic help...

Posted by Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org>.

Re: Really basic help...

Posted by Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org>.
As they say, "a million monkeys on typewriters will eventually produce the works of Shakespeare".  :-)

I guess I'm "lazy", to each his own.

Re: Really basic help...

Posted by Martin Makundi <ma...@koodaripalvelut.com>.

Re: Really basic help...