Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2008/01/27 04:10:47 UTC

Re: Problems in getting a tutorial to work

Hi Chandra -

I'm hoping you are reading and understanding the error message.  You
would get better help if you asked more specific questions, based on
your understanding and trying to cope with the error message.

For instance, you might ask,
      "After I set the class path to UIMA_HOME/lib/examples.jar,
       I thought that would fix it, because I think that this Java class
      (ProductNumberAnnotator) which I created while working
      through the examples in the paper, would be in
      examples.jar.  Is it?"

To which I would reply, no, it isn't.  Which of course would explain why
you got the error message.  If this is, indeed, what happened, I'm
curious as to why you thought it would be in examples.jar.

To fix this, you need to track down where this class is, and either add
it to the examples.jar, or change the class path to point to where the
class is.

Just to be clear, the class you're looking for , the
ProductNumberAnnotator class, is not a part of Apache UIMA - it's some
file you would have created (I'm guessing) in working through the paper
up to section 8.

Let's say you found it in
c:\myproject\classes\com\backstopmedia\uima\tutorial\ProductNumberAnnotator.class

Then, you have to put the path c:\myproject\classes into the Java Class
Path.  If you're starting the Document Annotator using
documentAnalyzer.bat, you can in your command window set the environment
variable CLASSPATH to include (in this example) c:\myproject\classes
The documentAnalyzer.bat invokes the setUimaClassPath.bat, which will
put the paths that are defined in the environment variable CLASSPATH
into the classpath for Java.  You can see how this is done by reading
the setUimaClassPath.bat file.

If you packaged all your classes for your project into a Jar, you can
put the Jar into the class path, too.  Please refer to any Java book or
Java knowledgeable student, professor or teacher at your university for
how to do this.

I'm not sure any of this is what your problem is, but that's the best I
can guess with the information so far.

-Marshall