Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/03 23:00:52 UTC

[VOTE] Release 5.0.12

I've created and uploaded a release of Tapestry 5.0.12, ready to be voted upon.

The files are uploaded to:

http://people.apache.org/~hlship/tapestry-releases/

and a Maven repository:

http://people.apache.org/~hlship/tapestry-ibiblio-rsynch-repository/

Please examine these files to determine if a new preview release,
5.0.12, is ready.

I've also created a 5.0.12 tag in Subversion:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tapestry/tapestry5/tags/releases/5.0.12/

On a successful vote, I'll move the files from these directories to
the proper distribution directories.

Vote will run for three days; on success I'll move the voted artifacts
into place and send out appropriate notifications.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.0.12

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
FYI: Ted pointed out  a problem with the annotations in tapestry-ioc
(right package name, wrong folder name).  Strange that javac and IDEA
didn't flag that as a more major error!  In any case, I've redone the
build.

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've created and uploaded a release of Tapestry 5.0.12, ready to be voted upon.
>
> The files are uploaded to:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~hlship/tapestry-releases/
>
> and a Maven repository:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~hlship/tapestry-ibiblio-rsynch-repository/
>
> Please examine these files to determine if a new preview release,
> 5.0.12, is ready.
>
> I've also created a 5.0.12 tag in Subversion:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tapestry/tapestry5/tags/releases/5.0.12/
>
> On a successful vote, I'll move the files from these directories to
> the proper distribution directories.
>
> Vote will run for three days; on success I'll move the voted artifacts
> into place and send out appropriate notifications.
>
> --
> Howard M. Lewis Ship

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.0.12

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
Jesse Kuhnert: +1 (binding)

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've created and uploaded a release of Tapestry 5.0.12, ready to be voted upon.
>
> The files are uploaded to:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~hlship/tapestry-releases/
>
> and a Maven repository:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~hlship/tapestry-ibiblio-rsynch-repository/
>
> Please examine these files to determine if a new preview release,
> 5.0.12, is ready.
>
> I've also created a 5.0.12 tag in Subversion:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tapestry/tapestry5/tags/releases/5.0.12/
>
> On a successful vote, I'll move the files from these directories to
> the proper distribution directories.
>
> Vote will run for three days; on success I'll move the voted artifacts
> into place and send out appropriate notifications.
>
> --
> Howard M. Lewis Ship

Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry / OGNL / Dojo team member/developer

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.0.12

Posted by "Filip S. Adamsen" <fs...@fsadev.com>.
Filip S. Adamsen: +1 (non-binding)

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.0.12

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
How about a second static .js that just contains a tiny amount of
initialization on top of jquery.js?  Hm.  You'll need a bit more
trickery, as the Tapestry's JS libraries (prototype, scripaculous,
tapestry.js) get ordered ahead of anything else you include via
@IncludeJavascriptLibrary.

<script src="asset:..."/> is still your friend?

Release early, release often?

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.0.12

Posted by Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.0.12

Posted by Ognen Ivanovski <og...@netcetera.com.mk>.
On 2008-06-06, at 10:46, Ognen Ivanovski wrote:

>> Ultimately, Tapestry is going to be combining all the scripts for the
>> page into a virtual meta-script and streaming a minimized, compressed
>> version to the client.  That will ultimately be a big performance
>> win!
>>

> How about using google's API loading/storage capabilities? One
> benefit would be - if many sites are laoding the Ajax libs from the
> same location - chances are better that the api is already in the
> browser cache.

Forgot the link:
http://code.google.com/apis/ajaxlibs/

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.0.12

Posted by Ognen Ivanovski <og...@netcetera.com.mk>.
On 2008-06-05, at 17:54, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:

> Ultimately, Tapestry is going to be combining all the scripts for the
> page into a virtual meta-script and streaming a minimized, compressed
> version to the client.  That will ultimately be a big performance win!

How about using google's API loading/storage capabilities? One benefit
would be - if many sites are laoding the Ajax libs from the same
location - chances are better that the api is already in the browser
cache.

Ognen

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.0.12

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.0.12

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

RE: [VOTE] Release 5.0.12

Posted by Ben Sommerville <be...@bulletproof.com.au>.
That issue is logged as
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAPESTRY-2369 along with a patch
(which steps around the problem by removing the requirement for zones to
be registered before links).

The underlying cause is that the all the init properties (linkZone,
zone,etc) are stored in a HashMap (inside JSONObject), so the order that
they are output is entirely unpredictable.

It can either be fixed by imposing an ordering on the init data or by
imposing a restriction on the functions that they be independent (which is
what my patch does for the linkZone case).

cheers
Ben

"],["view_2","viewZone"],["view_3","viewZone"],["view_>
4","viewZone"],["view_5","viewZone"],["view_6","viewZone"],["v
iew_7","viewZone"]]);

> and here's the new one:
> Tapestry.init({"linkZone":[["view","viewZone"],["view_0","view
Zone"],["view_1","viewZone"],["view_2","viewZone"],["view_>
3","viewZone"],["view_4","viewZone"],["view_5","viewZone"],["v
iew_6","viewZone"],["view_7","viewZone"]],"zone":["viewZone"]});

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.0.12

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, looks like .12 is dead.  I'll be fixing the zone linking problem
> and maybe a couple of others and we'll get .13 out.

THANKS!

--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.0.12

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Andreas Andreou <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Andreas Andreou: -1
>
> Just tried the code from tapestry4nonbelievers as well and it seems to me
> that there's a regression with zones... To be more specific, here's
> the old js that got generated:
>
> Tapestry.initializeZones([{"div":"viewZone"}],
> [["view","viewZone"],["view_0","viewZone"],["view_1","viewZone"],["view_2","viewZone"],["view_3","viewZone"],["view_4","viewZone"],["view_5","viewZone"],["view_6","viewZone"],["view_7","viewZone"]]);
>
> and here's the new one:
> Tapestry.init({"linkZone":[["view","viewZone"],["view_0","viewZone"],["view_1","viewZone"],["view_2","viewZone"],["view_3","viewZone"],["view_4","viewZone"],["view_5","viewZone"],["view_6","viewZone"],["view_7","viewZone"]],"zone":["viewZone"]});
>
> In the new one you'll notice that first the links and then the zone is
> registered... this however
> is problematic cause during registration of the links their zone must
> already be registered (so that
> it can be referenced - see the old initialization code)
>
> I'd be willing to change my vote if:
> - there's something terribly wrong with my findings
> - you guys consider this not to be a blocker
>

> On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 1:40 AM, Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm also experiencing javascript problems. I tried to migrate the demo we
>> wrote for the article to 5.0.12-SNAPSHOT.
>> The update of zones is not working anymore. The following code works with
>> 5.0.11 but not with recent snapshots:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/tapestry4nonbelievers/source/browse/trunk/app/src/main/java/t5demo/pages/Start.java
>> http://code.google.com/p/tapestry4nonbelievers/source/browse/trunk/app/src/main/webapp/Start.tml
>>
>> The
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I just bumped versions and I had an app that broke with the movement of the
>>> javascript libraries to the bottom of the page.  I haven't had time to take
>>> a look in depth at what's involved to fix it, but will try to do so by the
>>> end of the week.
>>>
>>> The code in question was jQuery init code.  I have to call noConflict so in
>>> order not to clash with Prototype.  I think onLoad() binds too late if a
>>> document.ready is called.  I'll look more and report back.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kevin
>>>

>>> On Jun 3, 2008, at 5:00 PM, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
>>>
>>>  I've created and uploaded a release of Tapestry 5.0.12, ready to be voted

>> --
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Igor Drobiazko
>>

> --