Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by David Rosenstrauch <da...@darose.net> on 2012/08/16 00:11:04 UTC

OK to run data node on same machine as secondary name node?

I have a Hadoop cluster that's a little tight on resources.  I was
thinking one way I could solve this could be by running an additional
data node on the same machine as the secondary name node.

I wouldn't dare do that on the primary name node, since that machine
needs to be extremely performant.  But since all the secondary name node
does is doing a merge of the name node's checkpoint and logs, which is
not an activity that require top-notch real-time performance, I thought
it might not be a problem if I were to set up a data node running there
as well.

Any reasons why that might be a bad idea?

Thanks,

DR

Re: OK to run data node on same machine as secondary name node?

Posted by James Brown <jb...@syndicate.net>.
It is ok as long as the Secondary NameNode runs on a machine physically
separate from the NameNode.

Make sure the fs.checkpoint.dir and fs.checkpoint.edit.dir directory
lists have multiple physical devices in each.

Posted by David Rosenstrauch <da...@darose.net>.
Very helpful info.  I hadn't considered the bandwidth aspect of it.
Thanks much, Harsh!

DR

Posted by David Rosenstrauch <da...@darose.net>.

Posted by David Rosenstrauch <da...@darose.net>.

Posted by David Rosenstrauch <da...@darose.net>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: OK to run data node on same machine as secondary name node?

Posted by James Brown <jb...@syndicate.net>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: OK to run data node on same machine as secondary name node?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: OK to run data node on same machine as secondary name node?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: OK to run data node on same machine as secondary name node?

Posted by James Brown <jb...@syndicate.net>.

Posted by James Brown <jb...@syndicate.net>.