Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Bill Moseley <mo...@hank.org> on 2002/02/07 18:23:19 UTC

[WOT] Google Programming Contest.

Sorry for the Way Off Topic, and sorry if I missed this on the list already:

http://www.google.com/programming-contest/

They say C++ or Java.  What, no Perl?

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org

Re: [WOT] Google Programming Contest.

Posted by iain truskett <ic...@eh.org>.
* Randal L. Schwartz (merlyn@stonehenge.com) [08 Feb 2002 05:28]:
> * "Dave" == Dave Rolsky <au...@urth.org> writes:
> > In the Slashdot discussion, there's a link to a usenet posting by a
> > Google employee which explicitly says only C++ or Java, no Perl or
> > Lisp.

> "A google employee" is perhaps only an opinion though. Is it the group
> running the contest?

Yes, it's an official opinion.

cheers,
--
iain.                                          <http://eh.org/~koschei/>

Re: [WOT] Google Programming Contest.

Posted by "Randal L. Schwartz" <me...@stonehenge.com>.

Dave> In the Slashdot discussion, there's a link to a usenet posting by a Google
Dave> employee which explicitly says only C++ or Java, no Perl or Lisp.

<me...@stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>

Re: [WOT] Google Programming Contest.

Posted by Dave Rolsky <au...@urth.org>.
On 7 Feb 2002, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> No, they say "must use our C++ interface routines", and "no closed-source
> solutions".  If you provide an open source package, you must
> tell where and how to download and build.
>
> Thus, Perl is fine.

In the Slashdot discussion, there's a link to a usenet posting by a Google
employee which explicitly says only C++ or Java, no Perl or Lisp.

-dave

/*==================
www.urth.org
we await the New Sun
==================*/

Re: [WOT] Google Programming Contest.

Posted by "Randal L. Schwartz" <me...@stonehenge.com>.

Bill> Sorry for the Way Off Topic, and sorry if I missed this on the list already:
Bill> http://www.google.com/programming-contest/

Bill> They say C++ or Java.  What, no Perl?

Posted by Vivek Khera <kh...@kcilink.com>.

ABH> The myth lives on. :-)  It's not quite true.  It was at UCLA and
ABH> the story was different:

ABH> http://nntp.perl.org/group/perl.advocacy;max=961
ABH> http://nntp.perl.org/group/perl.advocacy/956

Quite lame to make a programming contest in which choice of language
makes all problems easier.  When we were running the Duke Internet
Programming Contest (mid 90's) we allowed any and all languages for
which we had a compiler.  The last year we ran it, that even included
Ada as provided by Sun, Haskell, and of course, perl, C, C++, Pascal,
FORTRAN, shell script, and probably a few more.

The folks that won usually picked the right language for the right
problem.  All of our working solutions given at the end of the contest
were written in C.

Naturally, the entire judging mechanism was written in perl (version 3
even!), except the submission programs, which were in /bin/sh for
portability.

Ahhh, the good ol' days. ;-)

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/

Re: [WOT] Google Programming Contest.

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@valueclick.com>.
On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Medi Montaseri wrote:

> This reaminds me of a Brain Bowl competition at USC a few years
> ago, where the winner (a one man Perl speaking team) solved 4 out
> of 6 problems in the given time (compared to other multiple member
> teams) and the school of engineering decided to remove Perl as one
> of the possible languages

The myth lives on. :-)  It's not quite true.  It was at UCLA and
the story was different:

http://nntp.perl.org/group/perl.advocacy;max=961
http://nntp.perl.org/group/perl.advocacy/956

 - ask

--
ask bjoern hansen, http://ask.netcetera.dk/         !try; do();
more than a billion impressions per week, http://valueclick.com

Re: [WOT] Google Programming Contest.

Posted by Medi Montaseri <me...@cybershell.com>.
This reaminds me of a Brain Bowl competition at USC a few years ago, where
the winner (a one man Perl speaking team) solved 4 out of 6 problems in the
given time
(compared to other multiple member teams) and the school of engineering decided
remove Perl as one of the possible languages

The story ends with "....the winner is currently working and uses his prize, a
copy
of MS Visual C++, as a door stopper...."

Having said that .... I don't think Google has anything against Perl.
They use lots of it.

Bill Moseley wrote:

> Sorry for the Way Off Topic, and sorry if I missed this on the list already:
>
> http://www.google.com/programming-contest/
>
> They say C++ or Java.  What, no Perl?
>
> --
> Bill Moseley