Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org> on 2003/11/30 20:41:57 UTC

[jexl] About ${null.unknownMethod()}

Hi,

This is something that has been bothering me as being the most
unpredictable fact of jelly...

There are three things that I'd like to see changed, maybe when a
special flag like "intolerantJexl" is set:

1) If a something "null" it can still be called with any method, result
is still null.

2) If a something if not null, it can also be called any method, all the
undefined methods will give a null result...

3) ${null} within a jelly space expecting a string is ${null.toString()}
which... is the empty string and not the string "null" like in java's
most common parts.

I consider at least 2) as being something really dangerous and I know it
has biten me ten thousand times because of typos. Combined with 3) it's
even more dangerous.

What do you think ?

Thanks.

Paul