Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Bojan Smojver <bo...@binarix.com> on 2001/08/24 05:55:18 UTC

Velocity 1.2

Just ported my all-doing servlet to Velocity 1.2, non-singleton model.
It rocks! (the Velocity, that is :-)

Great work guys!!!

Bojan

Re: Velocity 1.2

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 8/23/01 11:12 PM, "Bojan Smojver" <bo...@binarix.com> wrote:

>> No idea here, but wanted to ask:  Since Vel 1.2 isn't out yet, are you using
>> nightly builds?
>
> Yes, the latest one, from yesterday 23/08/2001.
>
> Bojan

CVS and nightly builds are very stable. We aren't making a lot of changes to
it at this point and you can see the changelog online...

<http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/changes.html>

That said, I'm sure there are a few changes that affected memory usage...

-jon

Re: Velocity 1.2

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@binarix.com>.

Re: Velocity 1.2

Posted by David Rees <dr...@runt.ebetinc.com>.
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 03:21:01PM +1000, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> Bojan Smojver wrote:
> >
> > Just ported my all-doing servlet to Velocity 1.2, non-singleton model.
> > It rocks! (the Velocity, that is :-)
> >
> > Great work guys!!!
>
> I also noticed that on one of the systems where I have 10 application
> environments, memory usage of the JVM that runs Tomcat/Velocity went
> down from around 70+ MB to 50+ MB with the non-singleton model.
>
> Is this just my 'wishful thinking' or is it based on reality?

No idea here, but wanted to ask:  Since Vel 1.2 isn't out yet, are you using
nightly builds?

-Dave

Re: Velocity 1.2

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@binarix.com>.
geirm@optonline.net wrote:
> Bojan Smojver wrote:
>
>>Bojan Smojver wrote:
>>
>>>Just ported my all-doing servlet to Velocity 1.2, non-singleton model.
>>>It rocks! (the Velocity, that is :-)
>>>
>>>Great work guys!!!
>>>
>>>Bojan
>>>
>>I also noticed that on one of the systems where I have 10 application
>>environments, memory usage of the JVM that runs Tomcat/Velocity went
>>down from around 70+ MB to 50+ MB with the non-singleton model.
>>
>>Is this just my 'wishful thinking' or is it based on reality?
>>

> Not sure - I found a few things and fixed them, but my sense was a speed
> increase rather than memory savings.  And I would be surprised if you
> got 30% out of it, certainly.
>
> geir

Yeah, it did sound a bit unrealistic to me as well. Maybe I had (or even
worse: still have) a 'memory leak' somewhere, although, that was one of
the primary reasons I chose Java for my applications... Oh, well, life
is tough.

By all means, all the kudos for 1.2. It saves me a hassle of
distributing the new .jar file to every application when there is a new
release. Now I just plonk it into Tomcat's lib/apps and everyone's happy.

Bojan

Re: Velocity 1.2

Posted by ge...@optonline.net.
Bojan Smojver wrote:

> Bojan Smojver wrote:
> >
> > Just ported my all-doing servlet to Velocity 1.2, non-singleton model.
> > It rocks! (the Velocity, that is :-)
> >
> > Great work guys!!!
> >
> > Bojan
>
> I also noticed that on one of the systems where I have 10 application
> environments, memory usage of the JVM that runs Tomcat/Velocity went
> down from around 70+ MB to 50+ MB with the non-singleton model.
>
> Is this just my 'wishful thinking' or is it based on reality?

Not sure - I found a few things and fixed them, but my sense was a speed
increase rather than memory savings.  And I would be surprised if you
got 30% out of it, certainly.

geir

System and Software Consulting
Well done is better than well said - New England Proverb

Re: Velocity 1.2

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@binarix.com>.