Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2018/08/23 17:18:28 UTC

[COLLECTIONS] Master branch build failing

Hi,

it looks like the master branch build for commons-collections is failing
for a while now [1]. Does anybody have the time to look into this?

Benedikt

[1] https://travis-ci.org/apache/commons-collections/jobs/404183011

Re: [COLLECTIONS] Master branch build failing

Posted by th...@gmail.com.
On 24/08/18 14:46, Gary Gregory wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 7:41 AM Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am Fr., 24. Aug. 2018 um 09:06 Uhr schrieb Benedikt Ritter <
>> britter@apache.org>:

>>> Maybe related to Java 8 default methods? I'm just guessing here... Need
>>> dig into this on the weekend.
>>>

>> It looks like this is related to Clirr handling default methods the wrong
>> way. So we probably need to fix clirr in order to use it. I found a mirror
>> of the code on GitHub in Emmanuel Bourg's account [1]. We could probably
>> try to fix clirr, but I'd like to explore whether it would be okay to drop
>> clirr entirely and only use jacimp instead (which seems to work with Java
>> 8).
>>

> It's not clear to me that japicmp is maintained either, it has not had a
> release in a long time.

It seems to have regular releases, last one 4 days ago:
https://search.maven.org/search?q=g:com.github.siom79.japicmp
https://github.com/siom79/japicmp/tags

Best regards.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 24 August 2018 at 14:53, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 August 2018 at 14:46, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 7:41 AM Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> It looks like this is related to Clirr handling default methods the wrong
>>> way. So we probably need to fix clirr in order to use it. I found a mirror
>>> of the code on GitHub in Emmanuel Bourg's account [1]. We could probably
>>> try to fix clirr, but I'd like to explore whether it would be okay to drop
>>> clirr entirely and only use jacimp instead (which seems to work with Java
>>> 8).
>>>

>> It's not clear to me that japicmp is maintained either, it has not had a
>> release in a long time.
>>
>> Should we bring in Clirr as a Commons project if the license allows?

Not sure tha's possible, as it uses LGPL:

http://clirr.sourceforge.net/license.html

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 15:41:36 +0200, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Fr., 24. Aug. 2018 um 09:06 Uhr schrieb Benedikt Ritter <
> britter@apache.org>:
>

>> Am Do., 23. Aug. 2018 um 20:12 Uhr schrieb sebb <se...@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Huh?
>>>
>>> Looks like the failure is due to Clirr is reporting some breaks;
>>> not
>>> sure how that can depend on the Java version.
>>>

>> Maybe related to Java 8 default methods? I'm just guessing here...
>> Need to
>> dig into this on the weekend.
>>

> It looks like this is related to Clirr handling default methods the
> wrong
> way. So we probably need to fix clirr in order to use it. I found a
> mirror
> of the code on GitHub in Emmanuel Bourg's account [1]. We could
> probably
> try to fix clirr, but I'd like to explore whether it would be okay to
> drop
> clirr entirely and only use jacimp instead (which seems to work with
> Java
> 8).

Japicmp has its own problems; it had to be disabled so that
"Commons RNG" could be released.

Gilles

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.