Posted to users@maven.apache.org by av...@gmail.com on 2020/03/17 19:45:26 UTC

What is remoteTagging in maven-release-plugin?

Hello, I am having trouble understanding remoteTagging.

I use Maven 3.5. 4, maven-release-plugin 3.0. 0-M1 and Subversion 1.8 to build multimodule projects.
Sunbversion is a standard structure: trunk, branches, and tags.

trunk/
   ├ myProject/
   │  ├ pom.xml (parent pom)
   │  :
   ├ sub1/
   │  ├ pom.xml
   │  :

I would like to tag the trunk above as tags/VERSION:.

tags/
    └ 1.0.0
         ├ myProject/
         │   :
         ├ sub1/
              :

On myProject's pom.xml, scm.developerConnection points to trunk and remoteTagging = false.

<scm>
     <developerConnection>scm:svn:https://somehost/vcs/myProject/trunk</developerConnection>
</scm>

<plugin>
     <artifactId>maven-release-plugin</artifactId>
     <version>3.0.0-M1</version>
     <configuration>
         <autoVersionSubmodules>true</autoVersionSubmodules>
         <tagBase>https://somehost/vcs/myProject//tags</tagBase>
         <branchBase>https://somehost/vcs/myProject/branches</branchBase>
         <tagNameFormat>@{project.version}</tagNameFormat>
         <remoteTagging>false</remoteTagging>
     </configuration>
</plugin>

When using maven-release-plugin, why does remoteTagging change the tagging structure?
Also, I need to be true in a single module project to get the structure I expect.

I don't understand the ramifications of remoteTagging and how it relates to developerConnection, etc.

Thank you for reading.