Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by muralipn <mu...@accord-soft.com> on 2002/09/06 09:29:52 UTC

Problem related to closing Database connection

Hello

    I have opened a database connection and how to do I close this
connection

    a. when the server is closed normal through proper shutdown process
like
        in Tomcat 4.0 , shutdown.bat

    b. when the server is closed abnormally say crashed because of some
action

    In the above stated conditions , how do I close the database
connection
    so that I can be sure that database connection is closed and when
the
    server is started again a fresh new database connection is created

ThanX in advance
Murali

Re: Problem related to closing Database connection

Posted by Benny Lootens <be...@verzekeringen.be>.
Hi Murali,

The only proper way to this, is to add a shutdownhook. This is an
ordinary thread-class (a class that implements Runnable), that will
automatically be executed at the end of the current jvm, even when it's
crashed. You can in the thread-class close your database connections.

When you created your threadclass, you can add it at the start of your
application somewhere in de code via:

// adding shutdown hook somewhere in your code
Runtime.getRuntime().addShutdownHook(new MyShutdownHookClass());

regards,
benny lootens