Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Shawn Erickson <sh...@freetimesw.com> on 2004/07/10 20:45:09 UTC

global-ignores how to set it correctly?

First off I am using Mac OS X 10.3, the current stable version of
subversion and I have setup a subversion repository on a server. I will
be using tunneling over ssh to allow in house clients to access the
repository (svn+ssh://).

This so far all works but... I would like to set up a repository wide
setting for what files, by name, will be ignored by when clients
attempt to import source, etc. into the repository (like cvsignore in
the CVS's CVSROOT directory). In reading the documentation I believe
one uses the global-ignores setting to achieve this.

What is not clear to me is how to set this value.. what file to drop it
into so that it is global to repository or the server. Depending on
what I read... things seem to imply that I have to set this on each
client but I believe their must be a way to set this on the server side
once and have it apply to all clients.

At first I though I could modify the svnserve.conf file (found under
the repositories conf directory) to achieve this. I did the
following...

  UW PICO(tm) 2.5                       File:
/repository/conf/svnserve.conf
[miscellany]
global-ignores = build *~.* .* *.pbxuser *.mode1 *.app *.kext
*.framework

...but when I do an import files I want ignored are not ignored...

[G5:projects/ftsw/ThreadTools] shawnce% svn import -m "Import" .
svn+ssh://cube.local/repository/ftsw/ThreadTools
Adding         version.plist
Adding         FTSWThreadPool.m
Adding         FTSWThreadPoolWorkerPrivate.h
Adding         FTSWThreadPoolWorkItem.m
Adding         FTSWThreadPoolWorker.h
Adding         Info.plist
Adding         FTSWThreadPoolPrivate.h
Adding         ThreadTools.xcode
Adding         ThreadTools.xcode/shawnce.pbxuser
Adding         ThreadTools.xcode/project.pbxproj
Adding         ThreadTools.xcode/shawnce.mode1
Adding         FTSWThreadPoolWorker.m
Adding         FTSWThreadPool.h
Adding         FTSWThreadPool_Prefix.pch
Adding         FTSWThreadPoolWorkItem.h
Adding         English.lproj
Adding  (bin)  English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings
Adding         ThreadTools_Prefix.pch

The shawnce.pbxuser and shawnce.mode1 should be ignored in the above.

What I am doing wrong... sorry rather new to subversion but I like what
I see so far.

-Shawn

Re: global-ignores how to set it correctly?

Posted by Shawn Erickson <sh...@freetimesw.com>.
On Jul 13, 2004, at 4:31 PM, John Szakmeister wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 July 2004 12:06, Shawn Erickson wrote:
> [snip]
>>> What is not clear to me is how to set this value.. what file to drop
>>> it into so that it is global to repository or the server. Depending
>>> on what I read... things seem to imply that I have to set this on
>>> each client but I believe their must be a way to set this on the
>>> server side once and have it apply to all clients.
>
> Believe it or not, you can't set the global ignores on the server side.
> We've actually received a number of requests for this feature.  You're
> concern is duly noted. :-)  For now, you have to do this client side in
> your ~/.subversion/config file.

Ok thanks... just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
On Tuesday 13 July 2004 12:06, Shawn Erickson wrote:
[snip]
> > What is not clear to me is how to set this value.. what file to drop
> > it into so that it is global to repository or the server. Depending
> > on what I read... things seem to imply that I have to set this on
> > each client but I believe their must be a way to set this on the
> > server side once and have it apply to all clients.

Believe it or not, you can't set the global ignores on the server side.
We've actually received a number of requests for this feature.  You're
concern is duly noted. :-)  For now, you have to do this client side in
your ~/.subversion/config file.

-John

Re: global-ignores how to set it correctly?

Posted by Shawn Erickson <sh...@freetimesw.com>.
Sorry I just realized I had a mail filter incorrectly setup so I likely
missed any replies to the following message so I am reposting it...

-Shawn