Posted to dev@ranger.apache.org by Selvamohan Neethiraj <sn...@apache.org> on 2014/11/04 23:47:06 UTC

REQUEST for VOTE on Ranger Release 0.4.0-RC2 - within dev community of Apache Ranger

Hi:

Based on feedback from dev group here, I have cancelled vote from Apache IPMC for the Apache Ranger 0.4.0 with ranger-0.4.0-rc1.

After updating the License text information in LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt files, I've created a ranger-0.4.0-rc2 release candidate with the following artifacts up for a vote within dev community:

Git for release: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-argus.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/ranger-0.4.0-rc2

Source release:  http://people.apache.org/~sneethir/ranger/ranger-0.4.0-rc2/ranger-0.4.0-rc2.tar.z
For the source release file (ranger-0.4.0-rc2.tar.z):
	PGP Signature:   http://people.apache.org/~sneethir/ranger/ranger-0.4.0-rc2/ranger-0.4.0-rc2.tar.z.asc
	MD5/SHA Hash:    http://people.apache.org/~sneethir/ranger/ranger-0.4.0-rc2/ranger-0.4.0-rc2.tar.z.mds

Keys to verify the signature of the release artifact are available at:  https://people.apache.org/keys/group/argus.asc

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours.
 [ ] +1  approve
 [ ] +0  no opinion
 [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)

Thanks
Selva-

Re: REQUEST for VOTE on Ranger Release 0.4.0-RC2 - within dev community of Apache Ranger

Posted by Selvamohan Neethiraj <sn...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks Owen. I would need some more clarification/help on these - See my in-line response:

Thanks,
Selva-

On Nov 6, 2014, at 1:18 PM, Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org> wrote:

> -1 (binding)
>
> Issues:
> * You've included 444 class files in the source tarball. All of them should
> be deleted.

->  [I will take care of it in the next release candidate]

> * You also included 7 jars that need to be removed.

->  These jar files are SNAP-SHOT jar files, without these Apache source will not compile.
    Any Idea as how we handle these ?

	For example, Ranger have included features from Hive 0.14  for which we do not have a SNAPSHOT libraries in Apache.
               Same issue with Knox and Hadoop common libraries

> * The license file includes a second section for Apache license. Anything
> that is Apache licensed is covered by the first section.

->  [I will take care of it in the next release candidate]

> * The .project, .settings/*, and .classpath files don't have Apache
> licenses at the top.

->  [I will eliminate them from source build as it is not available in repo]

> * The
> file agents-audit/src/main/java/com/xasecure/audit/provider/MultiDestAuditProvider.java
> should move the license up in the file.

->  [I will take care of it in the next release candidate]

> * security-admin/3rd_party_party_licenses_text.txt should be folded into
> the LICENSE.txt

->  These license specified in the 3rd+party_licenses_text.txt is already folded into LICENSE.txt
    This file kept to display it in the WEB UI.

> * The file security-admin/src/bin/install.properties doesn't have a license
> header.

->  [I will take care of it in the next release candidate]

> * The
> file security-admin/src/main/resources/META-INF/infinispan-cache-config.xml
> has a JBoss license header

->  [I will take care of it in the next release candidate]

> * The file security-admin/src/main/webapp/.htacces doesn't have a license
> header.

->  [I will take care of it in the next release candidate]

> * The file security-admin/src/main/webapp/copyrightPluginList.html doesn't
> have a license header

->  [I will take care of it in the next release candidate]

> * The files under security-admin/src/main/webapp/libs/bower/* has a
> DocumentCloud header that needs to be removed and replaced with an Apache
> header. (Update the LICENSES.txt as necessary.) Many files under this
> subdirectory need to have their headers replaced.

->  [Need more help from dev community to do this in right way]

> * The files under security-admin/src/main/webapp/libs/other* have bad
> headers.

->  [I will take care of it in the next release candidate]

> * The files under security-admin/src/main/webapp/META-INF/contextXML/* need
> Apache headers.

->  [I will take care of it in the next release candidate]

> * You need to remove
> the security-admin/src/main/webapp/images/hortonworks*.png files.
> * Why are we releasing keystores and certs? That seems really problematic.
> We need to have scripts to build those keystores and certs and not the
> binary artifacts.

-> [Need more help from dev community to do this in right way]

> * Remove the linux executable unixauthnative/native/credValidator

-> [This is generated exec and should be removed from source tar file]

> * You need a header on unixauthnative/target/antrun/build-main.xml
> * You need a header on unixauthservice/conf.dist/jaas.conf

->  [I will take care of it in the next release candidate]

> * You need to remove the windows
> executable winpkg/src/resources/servicehost.exe
> * You need a header on winpkg/src/template/bin/xasecure-hadoop-env.cmd

-> [I will take care of it in the next release candidate]

> * (as Alan said) Move top level of tarball into a ranger-0.4.0 directory

-> [I will take care of it in the next release candidate]

> Issues for next release:
> * Repackage out of com.xasecure to org.apache.ranger

->  This should be handled on the next release

> On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 9:32 AM, Ashish Singh <as...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>> +1
>> Verified md5 and build.
>>
>> Regards
>> Ashish
>>
>>> On Nov 6, 2014, at 9:03 AM, Rmani <rm...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Ramesh

>> Apache IPMC for the Apache Ranger 0.4.0 with ranger-0.4.0-rc1.

>> NOTICE.txt files, I've created a ranger-0.4.0-rc2 release candidate with
>> the following artifacts up for a vote within dev community:

>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-argus.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/ranger-0.4.0-rc2

>> http://people.apache.org/~sneethir/ranger/ranger-0.4.0-rc2/ranger-0.4.0-rc2.tar.z
>> http://people.apache.org/~sneethir/ranger/ranger-0.4.0-rc2/ranger-0.4.0-rc2.tar.z.asc
>> http://people.apache.org/~sneethir/ranger/ranger-0.4.0-rc2/ranger-0.4.0-rc2.tar.z.mds

>> https://people.apache.org/keys/group/argus.asc

>>> --
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender
>> immediately
>>
>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: REQUEST for VOTE on Ranger Release 0.4.0-RC2 - within dev community of Apache Ranger

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
-1 (binding)

Posted by Ashish Singh <as...@hortonworks.com>.
+1
Verified md5 and build.

Regards
Ashish

> On Nov 6, 2014, at 9:03 AM, Rmani <rm...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> +1
>
> Regards
> Ramesh
>

>> On Nov 4, 2014, at 2:47 PM, Selvamohan Neethiraj <sn...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi:
>>
>> Based on feedback from dev group here, I have cancelled vote from Apache IPMC for the Apache Ranger 0.4.0 with ranger-0.4.0-rc1.
>>
>> After updating the License text information in LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt files, I've created a ranger-0.4.0-rc2 release candidate with the following artifacts up for a vote within dev community:
>>
>> Git for release: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-argus.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/ranger-0.4.0-rc2
>>
>> Source release:  http://people.apache.org/~sneethir/ranger/ranger-0.4.0-rc2/ranger-0.4.0-rc2.tar.z
>> For the source release file (ranger-0.4.0-rc2.tar.z):
>>    PGP Signature:   http://people.apache.org/~sneethir/ranger/ranger-0.4.0-rc2/ranger-0.4.0-rc2.tar.z.asc
>>    MD5/SHA Hash:    http://people.apache.org/~sneethir/ranger/ranger-0.4.0-rc2/ranger-0.4.0-rc2.tar.z.mds
>>
>> Keys to verify the signature of the release artifact are available at:  https://people.apache.org/keys/group/argus.asc
>>
>> The vote will be open for at least 72 hours.
>> [ ] +1  approve
>> [ ] +0  no opinion
>> [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)
>>

>> Thanks
>> Selva-
>
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: REQUEST for VOTE on Ranger Release 0.4.0-RC2 - within dev community of Apache Ranger

Posted by Rmani <rm...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: REQUEST for VOTE on Ranger Release 0.4.0-RC2 - within dev community of Apache Ranger

Posted by Selvamohan Neethiraj <sn...@apache.org>.
+1

Thanks,
Selva-

Posted by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Dilli Arumugam <da...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 11:47 PM, Madhan Neethiraj <
mneethiraj@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> On 11/5/14, 11:30 PM, "Velmurugan Periasamy" <vp...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
>
> >+1
> >
> >Downloaded source and built.
> >
> >Verified signatures.
> >

> >On Nov 5, 2014, at 8:29 PM, Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> >
> >> +1.
> >>
> >> Email looks good, LICENSE, NOTICE, DISCLAIMER, look good.
> >>
> >> One small nit, but there's no need to reroll over this:  when you do
> >>"tar zxf apache-ranger-0.4.0-rc2.z" it writes the files into the current
> >>directory.  If you then do "mvn install" rat complains that it can't
> >>find the license for the tar file.
> >>
> >> Alan.

> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-argus.git;a=shortlog

> http://people.apache.org/~sneethir/ranger/ranger-0.4.0-rc2/ranger-0.4.0-
> >>>
> http://people.apache.org/~sneethir/ranger/ranger-0.4.0-rc2/ranger-0.4.0-
> >>>
> http://people.apache.org/~sneethir/ranger/ranger-0.4.0-rc2/ranger-0.4.0-

> >> --
> >> Sent with Postbox
> >>
> >> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> >> NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or
> >>entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is
> >>confidential, privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable
> >>law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you
> >>are hereby notified that any printing, copying, dissemination,
> >>distribution, disclosure or forwarding of this communication is strictly
> >>prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please
> >>contact the sender immediately and delete it from your system. Thank You.
> >

> >--
> >CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> >NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity
> >which it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential,
> >privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader
> >of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
> >that
> >any printing, copying, dissemination, distribution, disclosure or
> >forwarding of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have
> >received this communication in error, please contact the sender
> >immediately
> >and delete it from your system. Thank You.
>

> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: REQUEST for VOTE on Ranger Release 0.4.0-RC2 - within dev community of Apache Ranger

Posted by Madhan Neethiraj <mn...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

Posted by Velmurugan Periasamy <vp...@hortonworks.com>.
+1