Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by ian tabangay <it...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/04 10:02:52 UTC

Question on inventory for Products of Type Marketing Package: Auto Manufactured

Hi.
Is there a way to set the scale or round off value for products of type
Marketing Package: Auto Manufactured?
For example:
Given product *case* of type Finished Goods and product *bottle* of type
Marketing Package: Auto Manufactured,
and their association is *bottle *to *case *of type Manufacturing Bill of
Material with quantity 0.0833 (dozen bottles per case).
If I have 10 (QOH in Inventory) of product *case*, I got 120 (QOH from
Component) of product *bottle* (which is correct).
However if I removed one product *bottle*, then my QOH in Inventory of
product *case* is 9.92 (somewhat correct) and
QOH from Component of product *bottle* is 119.04 when it should be just 119.
Resulting inventory came from the service
getMktgPackagesAvailable.

Ian Tabangay

Re: Question on inventory for Products of Type Marketing Package: Auto Manufactured

Posted by Vince Clark <vc...@globalera.com>.
We have the same situation. We are in a retail environment where our client purchases from vendors in "vendor quantities" and sells in "retail quantities." You're on the right path, sort of. You can use marketing packages for selling products, but you cannot use them for purchasing. It would make a lot of sense but the system doesn't support it. Specifically, you cannot create a marketing package to represent a vendor pack such as a case because the current receiving functionality won't break that case down into individual units (bottles.) So what you will have in inventory is one case, not 12 bottles.

There may be another more manual way to break it down after it has been receive but I haven't looked into that.

Here is what we are doing:
We inventory everything in pieces. For purchasing we store the vendor quantity in a field on the SupplierProduct record so we can order in the proper qty's on the PO. The downside to this is that you can only represent one vendor quantity. I would much rather have the option of using a marketing package so I could define multiple vendor quantities. The other downside is that when broken down to the piece level the supplier cost number gets very small. We actually had to increase the precision on lastPrice in SupplierProduct in order to support this. This can also lead to rounding errors that must be corrected when ordering or paying a vendor invoice.

We ARE using marketing packages for sales. So in your situation you could receive 12 bottles (1 case) and then use marketing packages to create six packs. If you don't sell that way then you don't need the marketing packages. Just sell the individual bottles.

Hope this helps.

Vince Clark
www.globalera.com
vclark@globalera.com

[...]