Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2020/06/15 19:05:49 UTC

Possible help in Jakarta EE 8 TCK (Re: How can I help ?)

> On Jun 14, 2020, at 5:20 AM, Evaldo Junior <ev...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am Developer, i have used different applications servers, among them the
> Apache Tomcat, during many years.
> I have interested in contribute to JAX-RS module to TomEE.
> I want to contribute to TomEE project, i hope to start with simple things.
> I can start to contribute in documentation of the project, with the
> translations, english to portuguese.

Hi Evaldo!

Are you possibly interested in teaming up with Helber to lead the charge on some Jakarta EE 8 TCK work?  One it's up and running you could focus on the JAX-RS section of the TCK.

Our overall status in this regard is this has seen little to no attention since August, yet we have people showing up regularly offering to help.

What we need is a couple people to dig into this area and put their minds to learning how to do it themselves, then to helping others do it too; responding to "how can I help" emails with "work with us on the tck, here's how."

It's a no-fail task as easily there've been over 50 people offer to help that we've not been able to get successfully enabled to help, so honestly and truly any improvement is seriously impactful.  Perfection is impossible, any step forward is a good one.

Does this sound like fun?

Helber, what do you think?

Anyone else think this sounds exciting?

-David

Re: Possible help in Jakarta EE 8 TCK (Re: How can I help ?)

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
> On Jun 15, 2020, at 5:06 PM, Thiago Henrique Hupner <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Are we focusing on the full profile or the web profile for now?

First web profile as that will allow us to get on this page:

 - https://jakarta.ee/compatibility/

After that we can dig into some Full Profile sections and see if we might be able to get a Full Profile certification.  We won't actually be able to Full Profile certify on Jakarta EE 8 because it still includes some things we don't implement like JAX-RPC, JAXR and CORBA.

BUT all those are gone in Jakarta EE 9 which is basically the same TCK with a javax-to-jakarta namespace change, so Full Profile certification is actually something we could achieve.  If the bytecode transformation stuff works, then we would actually be able to work on Jakarta EE 8 TCK and Jakarta EE 9 TCK in parallel on TomEE master branch.

Crazy idea ... unless it works, then it's an insanely fun crazy idea. :)

Posted by Thiago Henrique Hupner <th...@gmail.com>.
Are we focusing on the full profile or the web profile for now?

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Helber Belmiro <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi David.

Sounds nice to me.
But I’ll have to start with baby steps and certainly will need help. I never actually ran any TCK. It’s the first time I’m trying.
As you said in another email the documentation might be outdated, so I guess it is a good place to start.

- Helber Belmiro