Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> on 2006/03/17 21:13:47 UTC

[event] TheServerSide Java Symposium - March 23-25

Several of us will be presenting at TheServerSide Java Symposium in
Vegas next week (http://javasymposium.techtarget.com/index.html).
I've pulled together, what I think is a complete list of the Geronimo
related sessions.  If I missed one, please speak up.

Thursday, March 23
------------------

Transforming Enterprise Java into an Enterprise Commodity
   Geir Magnusson Jr.
   9:00 am - 9:50 am

Java has gone from a media and technology darling to a watermark
platform in the industry. As a result, products have changed from
being daring adoptions to more commoditized acquisitions - where even
application servers are being repackaged and tuned for specific
deployments. Geir Magnusson Jr. will present 'Transforming Enterprise
Java into a Commodity,' an in-depth address about what
commoditization means for the Java platform and its implications for
the vendor and the developer community.

Open Source SOA Using POJOs
   James Strachan
   10:00 am - 11:15 am

This session will provide an overview of how folks should develop SOA
applications so they can take advantage of various middleware
technologies like JMS, RMI, WS, JBI, BPEL etc yet keep their code
simple and POJO like and to deal with things like asynchronous
messaging, ESBs and so forth showing examples using different Apache
tools and frameworks.

Friday, March 24
----------------

Apache Geronimo Prime-time
   Jeff Genender
   11:30 am - 12:45 pm

Apache Geronimo is the latest open source application server to
achieve J2EE 1.4 certification, making it ready for prime time in the
Enterprise. It is now a real contender in the open source application
server market and offers a unique architecture making different open-
source projects pluggable and capable of building customized stacks.
This session will present an overview of Apache Geronimo, its
architecture, its major open source components, how it works, and how
to configure and use the application server. This session will cover
Geronimo's different concepts such as the kernel, GBeans, deployment
and different configurations, and running the application server.

Saturday, March 25
------------------

J2EE Development with Apache Geronimo
   Aaron Mulder and Dain Sundstrom
   2:30 pm - 3:45 pm

Apache Geronimo is an open source, J2EE-certified application server,
and this session introduces Geronimo from the perspective of a J2EE
developer. Do you have experience developing J2EE applications, but
no idea how to get started with Geronimo? Or perhaps not sure whether
to go with Tomcat, JBoss, or Geronimo? We'll start with a brief
comparison with other open source app servers. Then we'll get you up
to speed with J2EE development for Geronimo, from the administration
console, to configuring database pools, JMS destinations, and
securityrealms, to writing deployment descriptors for Geronimo and
using the included deployment tools. You'll learn everything you need
to install and configure the server, port your applications, and
deploy them on Geronimo.

Service Oriented Architecture with JBI and ServiceMix
   Bruce Snyder
   2:30 pm - 3:45 pm

Service oriented architecture (SOA) has been around for years in many
forms. But in recent years, Web Services standards are providing a
much more solid definition. Web Services Definition Language (WSDL)
is a protocol- and technology- independent standard used to describe
Web Services and model interactions between endpoints and is a key
technology within Web Services.

Java Business Integration (JBI) provides a standards-based
architecture for enterprise integration. JBI does not define a
traditional application programming model. Instead, it embraces a
service-oriented approach to structuring enterprise functions, where
JBI components function as service providers and consumers. JBI
models services produced and consumed by components using a WSDL-
based messaging model.

As developers, once we get past all of these definitions, how are we
to develop applications using these concepts? This session will
explain JBI and ServiceMix and how they all fit together to provide a
full SOA platform for developing composite applications.