Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by William Uther <wi...@cs.cmu.edu> on 2002/07/05 18:53:37 UTC

svn propdel svn:executable bug?

Hi,

  If I set the svn:executable property on a directory and then remove that
with a svn propdel svn:executable, then the directory loses its 'x'
permissions.  This is annoying.  Makes it hard to use the directory until
you fix it.  :)

Sorry, no time to stay and chat,

\x/ill          :-}

Re: svn propdel svn:executable bug?

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> writes:
> >Maybe we should prevent that property from -ever- being set on a
> >directory?
>
> +1.
>
> IMHO, svn:executable is horribly Unix-ish as it is, but I recognize
> that, for Unix files, it's necessary. I do *not* want its semantics to
> extend to what the 'x' flag means on Unix directories.

+1, completely agree with what Branko's last sentence above.

Re: svn propdel svn:executable bug?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by William Uther <wi...@cs.cmu.edu>.
On 5/7/02 6:07 PM, "Ben Collins-Sussman" <su...@collab.net> wrote:

> William Uther <wi...@cs.cmu.edu> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>   If I set the svn:executable property on a directory and then remove that
>> with a svn propdel svn:executable, then the directory loses its 'x'
>> permissions.  This is annoying.  Makes it hard to use the directory until
>> you fix it.  :)
>
> I added this feature last month... changing the value of
> svn:executable immediately runs 'chmod +x' or 'chmod -x' on the item.
> Are you saying that this feature should only operate on files, not
> directories?  Do we need to put in that restriction?
>
> I don't think that it ever occurred to us that someone would try to
> set that property on a directory.... why were you doing that?

Heh - by mistake.  I wanted to set the flag on a file so I typed:

svn propset svn:executable myScript

svn then gave the property "svn:executable" the value "myScript" on the
current directory.

> Maybe we should prevent that property from -ever- being set on a
> directory?

Sounds good to me.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.