Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Narayanan, Shiva (MED, Compuware)" <Sh...@med.ge.com> on 2002/07/23 19:48:04 UTC

JDBCAppender - Column values

Hello All,
We have the following requirements. We have a table called "logMessage"
in Oracle.

Fields in the table are
    Emp_id --> Char data type
    Session_id --> Char data type
    Emp_name       --> Char data type
    Transaction_type--> Char data type
    Transaction_timestamp --> Date data type
    Result_code  --> Number data type
    Result_description --> Char data type

We need to log messages to the above table whenever a transaction is
complete.
How do we have to setup JDBCAppender to achieve this?

Many thanks,
Shiva

Re: JDBCAppender - Column values

Posted by Kevin Steppe <ks...@pacbell.net>.
LogEvents don't have fields for those items, and the JDBCAppender logs
LogEvent objects.  So you'll have to do some coding.
A couple options off the top of my hand:
1) extend PatternLayout with conversion characters for all those things
2) override getLogStatement(...) in JDBCAppender.
3) create your log message specifically for logging to the db, with
commas and such embedded.  Then tell the JDBCAppender to insert just the
message.
    example:  log.info(" 'empABC', 'sessionABC', 'John', 'transABC',
'2002-07-23', 5, 'Result' ");
    config:  log4j.myjdbcappender.sql = insert into logMessage (Emp_id,
Session_id, ...) values (%m)

Kevin