Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2007/02/11 16:45:34 UTC

[Vote] Graduate mod_ftp (to an httpd subproject)

(With the addition of Nick Kew's late +1) attached is the summary
of the vote thread on httpd to accept mod_ftp, incubation complete
to their satisfaction, and the vote thread on mod_ftp-dev to start
the graduation process.  In short,

4 binding +1 votes (and 1 nonbinding +1) by mod_ftp to exit the
incubator as an httpd sub-project.

6 binding +1 votes by httpd to accept mod_ftp as its subproject.

Votes to graduate mod_ftp from the incubator?

+1 here with my incubator pmc hat on.

mod_ftp, FINAL steps; closing the lists.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
>>  1. mod_ftp be a httpd sub-project (ala mod_box)

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/mod_ftp/trunk/

It is now *CLOSED* (gone, in fact, if you look in /incubator)...
and has a new home (thanks Roy) here:

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/mod_ftp/trunk/

To move over your currently checked out trunk of mod_ftp, use;

  svn switch https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/mod_ftp/trunk

and you'll be there.  httpd committers are all set.  I've looked
at the commit activity of the non-httpd committers and see none
who used their commit privileges during incubation.   I would like
to point out that Ryan Morgan engineered a significant portion of
the original code (hey Ryan!) and if/when he has a chance to get
heads-down again in mod_ftp, we would be glad to commit your first
few patches and then consider review committership on merit, with
all honor and glory considered for your original design :)

>>  2. mod_ftp will use the httpd lists (dev, user, etc...)
>>     and not have separate lists

mod_ftp-dev@ is closing NOW.  Subscribe over to dev@httpd.apache.org.
(Blank note to dev-subscribe@httpd.apache.org to get in).  But I
think most folks here are there already.  Also, subscribe now to
cvs@httpd.apache.org for all commit traffic from this point on.

Infrastructure, can mod_ftp-dev subscribes and emails bounce with
instructions to find the discussion now at dev@httpd.apache.org?
Please simply close mod_ftp-cvs@, it should get no more traffic now.

**  3. close http://incubator.apache.org/projects/mod_ftp.html

I am cleaning up http://incubator.apache.org/projects/mod_ftp.html
and moving it to graduated, and starting the new subproject entry
http://httpd.apache.org/modules/mod_ftp.html with it's summary at
http://httpd.apache.org/modules/index.html - I'll have this committed
Saturday.

It's been a treat, see you at dev@httpd :)

Bill

Re: mod_ftp, next steps.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Feb 15, 2007, at 9:41 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>>>  1. mod_ftp be a httpd sub-project (ala mod_box)
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/mod_ftp/trunk/
> needs a new home (there are no tags or remaining branches).
>
> Can I suggest;
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/mod_ftp/trunk/
>
> for the time being?

I'll move it.

....Roy

Re: mod_ftp, next steps.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>>  1. mod_ftp be a httpd sub-project (ala mod_box)
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/mod_ftp/trunk/
> needs a new home (there are no tags or remaining branches).

Also forgot one last thing, we don't need much infra, but I'll
update /modules/index.html and /modules/mod_ftp.html etc tomorrow
and let folks tweak that until they are happy, before generating
the site.  Say, over the weekend.

Bill

mod_ftp, next steps.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
>>  1. mod_ftp be a httpd sub-project (ala mod_box)

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/mod_ftp/trunk/
needs a new home (there are no tags or remaining branches).

Can I suggest;

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/mod_ftp/trunk/

for the time being?

>>  2. mod_ftp will use the httpd lists (dev, user, etc...)
>>     and not have separate lists

Please consider mod_ftp-dev@ closed, and subscribe over here to
(and participate at) dev@httpd.apache.org.

Also, subscribe to cvs@httpd.apache.org for future commit traffic
after 1. above has been completed.

**  3. close http://incubator.apache.org/projects/mod_ftp.html

We will update this when 1. is determined and has been moved (it aught
to include the appropriate redirect), and when this happens, we will
send notice to infrastructure@ to shutter mod_ftp-dev@ - do we want that
traffic, if there was any, to be redirected here?

Sound like a plan?

Bill

Re: [Result] was: [Vote] Graduate mod_ftp (to an httpd subproject)

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Houston - I believe we have liftoff!

mod_ftp@i.a.o podling Vote Thread

mod_ftp-dev@i.a.o podling Vote Summary

dev@HTTPD.a.o Vote Thread

dev@HTTPD.a.o Vote Summary

> +1  Justin Erenkrantz
>     Jim Jagielski
>     Ruediger Pluem
>     Will Rowe
>     Sander Temme
>     Nick Kew (recorded late)
> -1  None
>
> The consensus is that:
>
>   1. mod_ftp be a httpd sub-project (ala mod_box)
>   2. mod_ftp will use the httpd lists (dev, user, etc...)
>      and not have separate lists

Incubator (general@i.a.o) Vote Thread

Incubator (general@i.a.o) Vote Summary
[this post]

Final tally;

+1; wrowe, yoavs, rdonkin, jerenkrantz, bdelacretaz, jim, leosimons
-1; none

In light of this; I declare the vote passed by all three committees,
and will begin the transfer of mod_ftp assets into the httpd project
per their consensus and further discussion to come, and will submit
this as the final mod_ftp subproject report under the incubator's
umbrella.

Incubator, thanks for having us, it's been grand :)

Bill

Re: [Vote] Graduate mod_ftp (to an httpd subproject)

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Monday 12 February 2007 00:46, Martin van den Bemt wrote:
> According to the process defined in
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Exiting+the+I
>ncubator the Incubator needs to vote first and nod to the accepting PMC that
> the project is ready to leave the incubator. Seems to be logical since it
> is the Incubators decision to say if a project successfully incubated.

Sounds like a typically case of a 2-phase commit ;o)

Cheers
Niclas

Re: [Vote] Graduate mod_ftp (to an httpd subproject)

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On 2/11/07, Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net> wrote:
> According to the process defined in
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Exiting+the+Incubator
> the Incubator needs to vote first and nod to the accepting PMC that the project is ready to leave
> the incubator. Seems to be logical since it is the Incubators decision to say if a project
> successfully incubated.

If you're talking about the section titled "Meritocracy / Community"
on the above page, I don't think the list is in the strict order in
which things must be done.  Rather, it's just a list of everything to
be done.  I may be wrong, and if so we should clarify the document to
make it an ordered list.

At least a couple of times in the past, including very recent past,
we've asked the sponsoring PMC to vote that it would accept the
podling before we, the Incubator PMC, voted on its graduation.

Yoav

Re: [discussion] Graduating a subproject

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Craig L Russell wrote:

> Well, I think we need to be sure we don't create a catch 22 here. The
> incubator depends on the project's future PMC accepting it, and the
> future PMC depends on the incubator graduating it.

Yes.  I think the vote by the project says 'yes, what you incubated will
fit right in', or 'whoops - that really isn't a good fit after all'.  And
then the project gets to set it's next destination.

> It makes sense to me that the incubator has the final sign-off, as
> written above. The future PMC votes to accept the podling *once the
> incubator graduates it*, and this agreement to accept gates the
> incubator vote.

Well, I think it's a tradeoff.  My expectations for a project community
that will be folded into another project are actually lower than for a
brand new TLP, which has to fly on it's own with relatively less direction.

Even if the project doesn't accept, there may be another TLP home here that
would require the project to change it's focus before it becomes ready to
graduate to -that- specific community.

But I agree this can be reordered as appropriate for a project.  mod_ftp
simply followed it's punch-list in the order long ago dictated by the
incubator.

Speaking with an iPMC-hat, I personally would not be comfortable graduating
a project into a TLP that hasn't decided it's ready to be accepted.  That
seems like the larger catch-22 to me.

> It seems it's the other way around for a TLP. I've never see the board
> vote to create a new TLP without the incubator signing off.

Ack - I don't think you will.  The board relies on the Incubator PMC to
determine that a project is ready to be a TLP.

Re: [discussion] Graduating a subproject

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Feb 11, 2007, at 9:27 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Martin van den Bemt wrote:
>> According to the process defined in
>> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/
>> Incubation_Policy.html#Exiting+the+Incubator
>> the Incubator needs to vote first and nod to the accepting PMC
>> that the project is ready to leave
>> the incubator. Seems to be logical since it is the Incubators
>> decision to say if a project
>> successfully incubated.
>
> If you look at http://incubator.apache.org/projects/mod_ftp.html, the
> status list implies...
>
> """
> Exit
>
> Things to check for before voting the project out.
> Organizational acceptance of responsibility for the project
>
>     * If graduating to an existing PMC, has the PMC voted to accept
> it?
>     * If graduating to a new PMC, has the board voted to accept it?
>
> Incubator sign-off
>
>     * Has the Incubator decided that the project has accomplished all
>       of the above tasks?
> """
>
> I'd always read this that the PMC needed to decide it was ready to
> accept
> before incubator boots it out.  But I agree with Yoav, it's
> probably quite
> flexible if this went the other way around.

Well, I think we need to be sure we don't create a catch 22 here. The
incubator depends on the project's future PMC accepting it, and the
future PMC depends on the incubator graduating it.

It makes sense to me that the incubator has the final sign-off, as
written above. The future PMC votes to accept the podling *once the
incubator graduates it*, and this agreement to accept gates the
incubator vote.

It seems it's the other way around for a TLP. I've never see the
board vote to create a new TLP without the incubator signing off.

Craig

> The reason to approach the existing PMC first, it seems to me,
> would be to
> make sure the graduating project meets the standards and criteria
> of the
> PMC already.  If it does not, the podling could accept the list of
> issues
> that PMC identifies, or the podling could change its focus to
> become it's
> own TLP or a subproject of a different TLP.
>
> But the sanity check of the accepting PMC makes alot of sense
> before the
> incubator PMC is asked if everything's complete to their satisfaction.
> We can't graduate a subproject without it's TLP home accepting it.
>
> Bill

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [discussion] Graduating a subproject

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Martin van den Bemt wrote:
> Effectively the only party to allow graduation of a project is the incubator

Yes...

> and what happens after that is up to the accepting project or the board
> (in case of TLP) and as fas as I understood the mentors and champions
> will be there to help out the project until the PMC / Board has voted to
> accept the project.

"To help out" - yes - we hope that's so.  But Until It Is Accepted (as TLP
or a subproject) it has not graduated.

(Even if the incubator voted to make that happen already.)

There's no twilight zone between incubation and being a full TLP or some
specific TLP's subproject.  If the docs give that impression, we should
fix them.

Nothing exists at the ASF without board oversight, whether it's direct
(for a TLP) or indirect (Incubator PMC or another TLP's PMC).

Bill

Re: [discussion] Graduating a subproject

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> The reason to approach the existing PMC first, it seems to me, would be to
> make sure the graduating project meets the standards and criteria of the
> PMC already.

Isn't this the job of the mentors/champions to make sure it is up to those standards ?

  If it does not, the podling could accept the list of issues
> that PMC identifies, or the podling could change its focus to become it's
> own TLP or a subproject of a different TLP.
>
> But the sanity check of the accepting PMC makes alot of sense before the
> incubator PMC is asked if everything's complete to their satisfaction.
> We can't graduate a subproject without it's TLP home accepting it.

The vote is on the fact that the project is ready to graduate, according to documentation at least,
if that doesn't reflect reality, we need to fix the documentation.

Effectively the only party to allow graduation of a project is the incubator and what happens after
that is up to the accepting project or the board (in case of TLP) and as fas as I understood the
mentors and champions will be there to help out the project until the PMC / Board has voted to
accept the project.

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: [discussion] Graduating a subproject

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Feb 11, 2007, at 4:45 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Votes to graduate mod_ftp from the incubator?

+1 from me. Go, go, go!

- Leo

Re: [Vote] Graduate mod_ftp (to an httpd subproject)

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 2/11/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> (With the addition of Nick Kew's late +1) attached is the summary
> of the vote thread on httpd to accept mod_ftp, incubation complete
> to their satisfaction, and the vote thread on mod_ftp-dev to start
> the graduation process.  In short,
>
> 4 binding +1 votes (and 1 nonbinding +1) by mod_ftp to exit the
> incubator as an httpd sub-project.
>
> 6 binding +1 votes by httpd to accept mod_ftp as its subproject.
>
> Votes to graduate mod_ftp from the incubator?

+1

- robert

Re: [Vote] Graduate mod_ftp (to an httpd subproject)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 2/11/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> ...Votes to graduate mod_ftp from the incubator?..

+1

-Bertrand

Re: [Vote] Graduate mod_ftp (to an httpd subproject)

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 2/11/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Votes to graduate mod_ftp from the incubator?

+1 with Incubator PMC hat on.  -- justin

Re: [Vote] Graduate mod_ftp (to an httpd subproject)

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Because everyone always seems to add their /metoo right after the vote
> results are released, I'll post a quick status now, and close the vote
> at the T+4:12:00:00 mark, a little more than 4 1/2 hours from now ;-)
>
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> (With the addition of Nick Kew's late +1) attached is the summary
>> of the vote thread on httpd to accept mod_ftp, incubation complete
>> to their satisfaction, and the vote thread on mod_ftp-dev to start
>> the graduation process.  In short,
>>
>> 4 binding +1 votes (and 1 nonbinding +1) by mod_ftp to exit the
>> incubator as an httpd sub-project.
>>
>> 6 binding +1 votes by httpd to accept mod_ftp as its subproject.
>>
>> Votes to graduate mod_ftp from the incubator?
>
> Quick status; wrowe, yoavs, rdonkin, jerenkrantz, jim, leosimons
> are recorded with +1's; no -1's.
>
> I have a +1 recorded for bdelacretaz, but don't get a match to the
> http://people.apache.org/~jim/projects.html#incubator-pmc, which
> we aught to correct if that's an oversight (it's keyed to the pmc
> svn access group.)

Bertrand Delacretaz joined the IPMC on 25/10/06 (acked by Jim), in order
to assist with mentoring Wicket.

Regards, Upayavira

Re: [Vote] Graduate mod_ftp (to an httpd subproject)

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.