Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mario Krolo <mk...@somanetworks.com> on 2002/08/08 20:18:28 UTC

filters

Hi,

I have a few url patterns that I would like to
filter (for example /aaaone,/aaatwo,/aaathree).
They all start with the same three letters.

If I do the following in my web.xml file my filter
kicks in and everything works fine:

    <filter-mapping>
        <filter-name>MyFilter</filter-name>
        <url-pattern>/aaaone</url-pattern>
    </filter-mapping>

    <filter-mapping>
        <filter-name>MyFilter</filter-name>
        <url-pattern>/aaatwo</url-pattern>
    </filter-mapping>

    <filter-mapping>
        <filter-name>MyFilter</filter-name>
        <url-pattern>/aaathree</url-pattern>
    </filter-mapping>

However, when I try

    <filter-mapping>
        <filter-name>MyFilter</filter-name>
        <url-pattern>/aaa*</url-pattern>
    </filter-mapping>

my filter doesn't do anything.  It seems that
the /aaa* pattern is wrong.

I was wondering why and how can I get it to work
with just one filter-mapping entry in web.xml.

Thanks,

Mario

Re: filters

Posted by Cédric Viaud <ce...@matrasi-tls.fr>.
Hi,

according to the spec, i think it is normal. It is written that you can have
these mappings :
    - begining with '/' and ending with '/*' is for path mapping (not your
case)
    - begining with '*.' is for extension mapping (not your case)
    - only '/' indicate defaut servlet of the application (not your case)
    - all other strings are used for EXACT matches only (so it is your case
by default)

I'm sorry but i thing you can't mapp what you want.

Why doesn't change you calls wich are :"aaa********" by "********.aaa" so
you can map on '*.aaa'

That's what i do. I use a specific extension for mapping to the right
controler (servlet).

Regards,

    Cédric

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: filters

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Mario Krolo wrote:

> Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 14:18:28 -0400
> From: Mario Krolo <mk...@somanetworks.com>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: filters
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a few url patterns that I would like to
> filter (for example /aaaone,/aaatwo,/aaathree).
> They all start with the same three letters.
>
> If I do the following in my web.xml file my filter
> kicks in and everything works fine:
>
>     <filter-mapping>
>         <filter-name>MyFilter</filter-name>
>         <url-pattern>/aaaone</url-pattern>
>     </filter-mapping>
>
>     <filter-mapping>
>         <filter-name>MyFilter</filter-name>
>         <url-pattern>/aaatwo</url-pattern>
>     </filter-mapping>
>
>     <filter-mapping>
>         <filter-name>MyFilter</filter-name>
>         <url-pattern>/aaathree</url-pattern>
>     </filter-mapping>
>
> However, when I try
>
>     <filter-mapping>
>         <filter-name>MyFilter</filter-name>
>         <url-pattern>/aaa*</url-pattern>
>     </filter-mapping>
>
> my filter doesn't do anything.  It seems that
> the /aaa* pattern is wrong.
>
> I was wondering why and how can I get it to work
> with just one filter-mapping entry in web.xml.

You'd know that this wasn't legal syntax if you read the definition of
servlet and filter mapping patterns in the servlet spec :-).

  http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html

> Thanks,
>
> Mario

Craig

RE: filters

Posted by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu>.
You can bind it to /* and then when your servlet receives the request,
validate it against your own pattern, else pass it on.

---