Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Hugh Field-Richards <hs...@megan.demon.co.uk> on 2006/08/03 20:27:42 UTC

Cocoon written in PHP

Hi

Thought I would post on this group about a Cocoon system that I have
done using PHP5 and see if anyone is interested. I know that there
have been one or two enquiries on the news groups and some other
offerings do exist, such as Krysalis and Papoon. However I did not
think another would be too unwelcome.

Paloose is a simplified version of Cocoon using PHP5. It resulted
from scratching a long standing personal itch: that there are very
few ISPs who will support Java/Tomcat for web sites, other than as a
very expensive "professional" addition. Almost all will support PHP5
(sorry, Paloose does not use PHP4) and so I decided to write my own
version of a simple, cut-down Cocoon in PHP5, having used Cocoon for
several years professionally before I retired.

I would much prefer to use Cocoon but the ISP expense was a problem,
so Paloose was born. I use it on two sites that I maintain (as well,
obviously, as the Paloose site).

Try http://www.paloose.org/

Hugh Field-Richards

www.hopvine-music.com
www.paloose.org

Re: Cocoon written in PHP

Posted by Hugh Field-Richards <hs...@megan.demon.co.uk>.
I haven't come across Smarty before so I will need to look at it,
thanks for the link. Currently I am having to sort out my new music
publishing venture so nothing will be happening overnight. However I
should be able to look at it during August and see what what can be
done.

Thanks to everyone for all the interest though.

Hugh

Re: [OT] Abuse of div and span

Posted by "spam2006@meeque.de" <sp...@meeque.de>.
> We must agree to differ - a pet peeve of mine is that people use HTML as
> a data structure language rather than as a page mark up language (cf
> TeX) :-) . HTML has absolutely nothing to do with data structuring [...]

-1 (to follow Mark's notation :-)

> The problem is that while HTML undoubtedly has some structural
> information such as paras, headings, lists etc., these are about the
> only ones it has.

Not to forget tables, when they are used to represent tabular data. (Of
course, more often they are used for style purposes only.) Then there
are also structural inline elements, like strong, em, cite, code, etc...

> It also mixes in pure style constructs such as italic
> (which tell you nothing about the structure and why they are italic).

This is not true for modern HTML versions (HTML 4.0 strict, XHTML 1.0
strict, XHTML 1.1), which do not contain style constructs like italic or
bold. And I guess Jason wouldn't suggest to use i or b?

> To be really useful we need to have extra structural tags in the HTML
> such as author, date, version, footnote, inline note, citation ...

Of course, many of those things would be useful in some situations. But
why should the lack of those elements prevent you using the structural
elements which actually exist? I guess for most typical web pages, those
existing structural are virtually sufficient to write good structural
markup.

> [...]
>
> btw I did look at Firefox output with no style and it looked fine. I
> agree you could not see the headings (they looked like paras) but it
> certainly was not unreadable.

Ok, that's good for you. But with no additional effort, you could make
headings, lists, etc visible in this view. Such structural markup would
 also carry its meaning, if viewed in Lynx or on a mobile device without
CSS capabilities. And it'd definitely increase accessibility.

A good example of using structural markup, is implementing menus as
nested lists of hyperlinks. With no additional CSS, or when viewed in
Lynx, they simply appear as a textual list of items. But with a few
lines of CSS and maybe two Java-Script statements you can make them
appear as nice drop-down menus. (I used to have a link to a site where
this is demonstrated, but it appears to be broken.)

Sorry, for intervening in this off-topic discussion. But I do have an
opinion on this one, and I feel compelled to share it.

Regards,
Michael

Re: [OT] Abuse of div and span (was: Cocoon written in PHP)

Posted by Hugh Field-Richards <hs...@megan.demon.co.uk>.
No need to apologise - just a figure of speech :-)

But it is a very interesting thought all of this and good to hear.

On 7 Aug 2006, at 19:23, Jason Johnston wrote:

>> I think we are probably having a heated agreement on this one. Point
>> taken - as I said I am not going to lay down my life on this one. I
>> can easily change my generated HTML and probably will after due
>> thought :-)
>
> I apologize, I didn't think it was very heated!  But glad that it's an
> "agreement". :-)

=================================
Dr H.S. Field-Richards
MIEE MIEEE CEng BSc PhD
hsfr@hsfr.org.uk
www.hopvine-music.com

Re: [OT] Abuse of div and span (was: Cocoon written in PHP)

Posted by Jason Johnston <co...@lojjic.net>.

Posted by Hugh Field-Richards <hs...@megan.demon.co.uk>.

On 7 Aug 2006, at 18:39, Jason Johnston wrote:

> [...]
>> XML that is the structure that the author intended. Although by
>> clever use of classes etc. you might end up with sufficient XML
>> granularity to achieve this, butI believe that this is against the
>> spirit of the whole thing.
>>
>> So, the question is, does it matter about divs and spans? I believe
>> not because I would not dream of taking HTML and try and do something
>> useful with it (screen scrapping for example) other than displaying
>> it on a browser. If required to interpret the data it is best to
>> deliver it in a form that is amenable to this: raw or processed XML.
>>
>> btw I did look at Firefox output with no style and it looked fine. I
>> agree you could not see the headings (they looked like paras) but it
>> certainly was not unreadable. I would totally agree with you if I had
>> used positional information for the flow, rather than simple vertical
>> stacking. Previous sites that I used Cocoon for always had a facility
>> to output the data for a variety of browsers including Lynx which is
>> styleless.
>>
>> Ultimately it is all a question of how you view HTML. There probably
>> is no "correct" answer to this (cf the big-endian, little-endian holy
>> wars of processor and bus design in the 1980s). Let us hope that XML
>> comes sooner rather than later to the Web. My opinion is that since
>> we are using HTML as page markup it does not really matter using divs
>> and spans, because we get very little other benefit from using <p>
>> and <h1> etc. However it is not something I would stake my life on.
>> It is all a m,atter of personal preference I guess.
>>
>> Thanks for the appreciation of the software though.
>>
>> - Hugh

>>> Argh! This is a particular pet peeve of mine.  HTML provides the <p>
>>> element specifically for marking up paragraphs.  By using a <div>
>>> you've
>>> removed any semantic meaning from the markup!  It might as well
>>> not be
>>> HTML at all.  You can apply the same CSS styles to any HTML
>>> element, so
>>> why not use something that carries a well-known semantic meaning
>>> that can
>>> be interpreted equally well by non-visual means, and that has a
>>> useful
>>> default styling for when your CSS isn't applied?  Same goes for
>>> headings:
>>> <h1>, <h2>, etc. are much more appropriate than divs with special
>>> classes.
>>>
>>> I always find it a good exercise when building a site to view it
>>> without
>>> any CSS applied (in Firefox: View->Page Style->No Style), and if
>>> I can
>>> still clearly see the structure of the page's content (heading
>>> hierarchy,
>>> paragraphs, lists, etc.) then it's good.  If on the other hand
>>> all the
>>> paragraphs and headings run together without any visual clues to
>>> meaning (as happens with the Paloose site!) then I've probably got
>>> some
>>> work to do.
>>>
>>> Sorry to get off-topic, just hate to see <div> and <span> over-
>>> used in
>>> place of perfectly good semantic HTML.
>>>
>>> Nice software though!  I look forward to giving it a try. :-)
>>>
>>> --Jason

>> =================================
>> Dr H.S. Field-Richards
>> MIEE MIEEE CEng BSc PhD
>> hsfr@hsfr.org.uk
>> www.hopvine-music.com

=================================
Dr H.S. Field-Richards
MIEE MIEEE CEng BSc PhD
hsfr@hsfr.org.uk
www.hopvine-music.com

RE: [OT] Abuse of div and span (was: Cocoon written in PHP)

Posted by Geert Josten <ge...@daidalos.nl>.
> In my opinion you are underestimating the usefulness of the
> semantics associated with these structural HTML elements, and
> are throwing away *too
> much* information in the pipeline.  Surely there's no
> advantage to throwing away that information, is there?

Just to add my 2 cents.. ;-)

By using headings, paragraphs, etc, instead of div and span for
everything, you give search engines the opportunity to distinguish them
and give more importance to headings over paragraph text.

:-)

Kind regards,
Geert

Drs. G.P.H. Josten
Consultant

Daidalos BV
Source of Innovation
Hoekeindsehof 1-4
2665  JZ  Bleiswijk
Tel.: +31 (0) 10 850 1200
Fax: +31 (0) 10 850 1199
www.daidalos.nl
KvK 27164984

De informatie - verzonden in of met dit emailbericht - is afkomstig van Daidalos BV en is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Indien u dit bericht onbedoeld hebt ontvangen, verzoeken wij u het te verwijderen. Aan dit bericht kunnen geen rechten worden ontleend.

Re: [OT] Abuse of div and span (was: Cocoon written in PHP)

Posted by Jason Johnston <co...@lojjic.net>.

Posted by Hugh Field-Richards <hs...@megan.demon.co.uk>.
> [...]

> headings:
> <h1>, <h2>, etc. are much more appropriate than divs with special
> classes.
>
> I always find it a good exercise when building a site to view it
> without
> any CSS applied (in Firefox: View->Page Style->No Style), and if I can
> still clearly see the structure of the page's content (heading
> hierarchy,
> paragraphs, lists, etc.) then it's good.  If on the other hand all the
> paragraphs and headings run together without any visual clues to their
> meaning (as happens with the Paloose site!) then I've probably got
> some
> work to do.
>
> Sorry to get off-topic, just hate to see <div> and <span> over-used in
> place of perfectly good semantic HTML.
>
> Nice software though!  I look forward to giving it a try. :-)

=================================
Dr H.S. Field-Richards
MIEE MIEEE CEng BSc PhD
hsfr@hsfr.org.uk
www.hopvine-music.com

Re: [OT] Abuse of div and span (was: Cocoon written in PHP)

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@wrinkledog.com>.
On Aug 7, 2006, at 8:45 AM, Jason Johnston wrote:

>> version of ... </div>
>
> Argh! This is a particular pet peeve of mine.  HTML provides the <p>
> element specifically for marking up paragraphs.  By using a <div>
> you've
> removed any semantic meaning from the markup!

+1 :-)
—ml—

[OT] Abuse of div and span (was: Cocoon written in PHP)

Posted by Jason Johnston <co...@lojjic.net>.

Re: Cocoon written in PHP

Posted by Hugh Field-Richards <hs...@megan.demon.co.uk>.
Thanks for the links. Most of the Paloose site is very orthogonal as
far as content, structure and style is concerned. I make heavy use of
div and span. I intend to put a how2 written with my son (a graphic
designer responsible for my other sites, and a good few others, as
well as being a DeviantArt member) on the whole process of using
Paloose in this way.

One problem is the differing behaviour of all the browsers,
especially flavours of IE :-( . For example IE can have strange
problems with divs and it is better to use tables for the layout
structure. Not ideal, but we have been both caught like this before.
Divs are certainly great but must be used with care. Please be
patient while I put the how2 together.

Looking at the two articles you sent me was interesting. Keeping the
syle, structure and content is easily done in Paloose or Cocoon. I
keep the XML strictly describing the content with concepts such as
paragraphs, headings, lists, links, quotations, foreign words etc.
To take an example of the paragraph in my content:

	<t:p>Paloose is a simplified (much simplified) version of ... </t:p>

There is nothing here that indicates the final look (obviously). The
relevant template

	<xsl:template match="t:p" mode="inline-text">
       <xsl:element name="div">
          <xsl:attribute name="class">normalPara</xsl:attribute>
          <xsl:apply-templates mode="inline-text"/>
       </xsl:element>
	</xsl:template>

  translates this into a simple HTML div

version of ... </div>

Again no style information yet - only a structure which may be placed
on the page. The final bit is the CSS file which  defines how
paragraphs should look and, if necessary their position, for example

.normalPara {
	background-color: #d2cab5;
	color: #66766d;
	font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
	padding: 10px 0px 0px 0px;
	font-size: 11px;
	line-height: 18px;
}

Sorry if all this is stating the obvious but it does illustrate the
orthogonal approach that I use for all my sites. The only problem is
when different bits of structure appear on different pages. This can
only be done with the XSLT which has the necessary functionality. Not
a problem as it is still considered structure. Different houses uses
different bricks but not what colour they are, if you see what I
mean. Having said all this I have a small confession to make on the
Paloose site :-) that in one place I do not currently do it like this
(emphasized text), although it will be changed shortly.

This approach has always been a good way for my son to concentrate on
just the style issues and he only concerns himself with the CSS file
which he can create/edit using other tools.

Regards

Hugh

On 6 Aug 2006, at 00:50, Antony Quinn wrote:

> On the subject of templating, I've recently been experimenting with
> "style-free stylesheets" as pioneered by Eric van der Vlist
> [http://tinyurl.com/kk6on]. Andreas Hartmann wrote a good article
> about
> using the technique in Cocoon
> [http://www.cocooncenter.org/articles/stylefree.html].
>
> Style-free stylesheets are a good way to separate HTML from XSLT,
> and so
> are ideal for working with graphic designers who don't know or don't
> want to know about XSLT.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Antony
>
> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>> On 8/4/06, Hugh Field-Richards <hs...@megan.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>> ....If you have a link to point me towards a site describing
>>> what you are referring to, I will have a look....
>> I was thinking of templating systems like Smarty,
>> http://smarty.php.net/ - AFAIK there are several such templating
>> systems that are popular in PHP circles (but I know little about PHP
>> in practice).
>> What I'd find interesting would be an example of how people could get
>> data via an HTTP/XML interface, process it with Paloose if needed,
>> and
>> at the end of the pipeline generate the final presentation using such
>> templating systems.
>> My use-case is a Cocoon--based CMS where "junior" people currently
>> write presentation layers using sitemaps and XSLT. Having a
>> well-integrated PHP-based solution that does not require the use of
>> XSLT would be an interesting alternative.
>> -Bertrand

=================================
Dr H.S. Field-Richards
MIEE MIEEE CEng BSc PhD
hsfr@hsfr.org.uk
www.hopvine-music.com

Re: Cocoon written in PHP

Posted by Antony Quinn <aq...@ebi.ac.uk>.

Re: Re: Cocoon written in PHP

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Cocoon written in PHP

Posted by Hugh Field-Richards <hs...@megan.demon.co.uk>.
I have not looked at anything else but XSL transforms because of my
background with Cocoon itself. I also wanted to be able to port
whatever I did in Paloose back to Cocoon with the minimum of change
(and effort). If people are interested then I might have a look at
other methods of transformation. If you have a link to point me

On 4 Aug 2006, at 08:08, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Hi Hugh,
>
> On 8/3/06, Hugh Field-Richards <hs...@megan.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> ... Thought I would post on this group about a Cocoon system that
>> I have done
>> using PHP5 and see if anyone is interested...
>
> Thanks for sharing this, it is interesting indeed!
>
> IIUC, currently you're using XSLT to transform your data to HTML -
> does Paloose also allow one to use the "standard" PHP-based templating
> systems to generate the final presentation? I'm sure it is possible,
> but if you have examples of how this fits together I'd be interested.
>
> -Bertrand

=================================
H.S. Field-Richards
hsfr@hsfr.org.uk
www.paloose.org
www.hopvine-music.com

Re: Cocoon written in PHP

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Hugh,

Re: Cocoon written in PHP

Posted by Jonas Lundberg <my...@gmail.com>.
This looks truly excellent! Thank's for sharing it.

Regards
Hans

Re: Paloose Tidy Generator ( was Re: Cocoon written in PHP)

Posted by Jonas Lundberg <my...@gmail.com>.
That sounds good! I atttach a typical file.

Hans

Posted by Hugh Field-Richards <hs...@megan.demon.co.uk>.
Hi Hans

Re: Cocoon written in PHP

Posted by Jonas Lundberg <my...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cocoon written in PHP

Posted by Hugh Field-Richards <hs...@megan.demon.co.uk>.
I will have a look at tidy as soon as I can. I tried building my PHP5
with tidy included but I am getting errors. I will keep trying ...

I am assuming that you want to input a Word file (formatted as HTML)
and "tidy" it before sending down the  Paloose pipe before other
transformations. If you only want to generate tidied code from
existing XML transformed into HTML then tidy is not really needed as
the results from the serialize component in the pipeline already
effectively does a tidy function: well formed HTML etc.

Is this what you want to do ?

Regards

Hugh

On 7 Aug 2006, at 10:14, Jonas Lundberg wrote:

> Would it be possible / easy (?) to include a html tidy generator in
> paloose, do you think?
> Something like: http://www.coggeshall.org/oss/tidy/
> (I am not an expert on PHP, so this might be a very basic question...
> maybe even a stupid one...)
> I'd like to use Tidy, because then Word (saved as html) can be used as
> a simple front-end for authoring content.
>
> Regards
> Hans
>
> On 8/3/06, Hugh Field-Richards <hs...@megan.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>> Hi
>>
>> Thought I would post on this group about a Cocoon system that I
>> have done
>> using PHP5 and see if anyone is interested. I know that there have
>> been one
>> or two enquiries on the news groups and some other offerings do
>> exist, such
>> as Krysalis and Papoon. However I did not think another would be too
>> unwelcome.

Dr H.S. Field-Richards
MIEE MIEEE CEng BSc PhD
hsfr@hsfr.org.uk