Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> on 2012/09/27 15:54:31 UTC

Marketing and traveling expenses

Hi I was asked about the use of funds regarding marketing events, speakers
and such. I want to know how does Apache manage funds for this operations?
Back in the OOo days, there was a marketing funds that came from donations,
and help subsidize traveling and some swag expenses (tshirt, pins,
stickers).

Is there any documentation on this that I can forward people to?

Regards.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: Marketing and traveling expenses

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Sent from my tablet

http://wiki.apache.org/concom-planning/ConComSupportedEvents

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 9:32 AM, James Grenier
<GR...@middlesex.mass.edu>wrote:

> I wonder if we could coordinate a list or other resource for linking
> conferences with local or other business sponsors, if there is not one yet.
>
> Is there, or is anyone interested in collaborating on the idea?
>
> J. M. Grenier, M.Ed.
> Middlesex Community College
> Faculty, Business and Humanities
> grenierj@middlesex.mass.edu

third party or project specific events.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
On 9/27/2012 9:54 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> Hi I was asked about the use of funds regarding marketing events, speakers
> and such. I want to know how does Apache manage funds for this operations?
> Back in the OOo days, there was a marketing funds that came from donations,
> and help subsidize traveling and some swag expenses (tshirt, pins,
> stickers).
>
> Is there any documentation on this that I can forward people to?

(Putting my comment and the other useful responses in one place)

As a public charity, the ASF does not provide funding for "marketing" of
individual projects.  As a general policy, we are very cautious when
allocating funding for anything other than the obvious requirements of
servers, bandwidths, sysadmins, and the like.

The one related area the ASF does have funding programs for is events,
specifically with the purpose of assisting likely contributors to come
to events, with the hopes that our project communities will grow.

Event related links from this thread:

 > On 9/27/2012 10:08 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
 >> For ApacheCon, there is the Travel Assistance Committee (TAC).
 >> Information is here:http://www.apache.org/travel/
 >>
 >> You can also point them to the email lists for ApacheCon and Small
 >> Events:http://events.apache.org/involved/mailing-lists.html

 > On 9/27/2012 2:08 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
 >> http://wiki.apache.org/concom-planning/ConComSupportedEvents

There are several other relevant links on the Concom-planning wiki
(note: some of the other links there are... less relevant)

* Event in a Box (outline of how to go about running an event)
   https://wiki.apache.org/concom-planning/EventInABox

* Apache Retreats (an alternative small event format)
   https://wiki.apache.org/concom-planning/PMCsAtApacheRetreats

* BarCamp Notes (sketch of how to hold a BarCamp)
   https://wiki.apache.org/concom-planning/BarCampNotes

- Shane