Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Krishna Agarwal <kr...@gmail.com> on 2023/09/08 07:17:13 UTC

[DISCUSS] KIP-974 Docker Image for GraalVM based Native Kafka Broker

Hi,
I want to submit a KIP to deliver an experimental Apache Kafka docker image.
The proposed docker image can launch brokers with sub-second startup time
and minimal memory footprint by leveraging a GraalVM based native Kafka
binary.

KIP-974: Docker Image for GraalVM based Native Kafka Broker
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-974%3A+Docker+Image+for+GraalVM+based+Native+Kafka+Broker>

Regards,
Krishna

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-974 Docker Image for GraalVM based Native Kafka Broker

Posted by Krishna Agarwal <kr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ismael,
Thanks for the feedback.

I noticed that the graalvm-reachability-metadata project now includes
> kafka-clients[1]. Worth checking if the metadata over there matches what
> we've observed for our own attempt.

After reviewing the graalvm-reachability-metadata, I observed that they
have provided configurations solely for the kafka-clients. However, we
require configurations for the server (the core module).
To obtain these configurations, I've leveraged the existing Apache Kafka
system tests. I'm executing the tests using GraalVM JIT with the
Native-Image Agent attached. I merge the configurations once all the tests
have been completed.

Can we please add peak memory usage as one of the columns of the table?
> I see that the information is covered elsewhere - it would be nice to have
> it as part of the table too.

Done

 GraalVM for JDK 21 was recently released, can we use that? Does it improve
> the numbers in a meaningful way?

Sure, we will be using the Image corresponding to 21. The community version
Image:
https://github.com/graalvm/container/pkgs/container/graalvm-community/129309492?tag=21

It would be good to include details on the naming - how will this image
> be named to differentiate itself from the non graalvm one?

Added a section in the respective KIPs.
In summary, we propose naming the image as
*<image-name>:<kafka-version>-<optional-suffix>*.
For the native AK docker image, we are considering '*kafka-local*' as it
clearly signifies that this image is intended exclusively for local
development purposes. Another option under consideration is '*kafka-native*
'.

 Can we talk a bit more about the compatibility guarantees while this
> image is still experimental?

Do you here mean the functionalities that this native AK docker image will
be able to support?

I have updated the KIP with the above points.

Regards,
Krishna

Posted by Ismael Juma <me...@ismaeljuma.com>.
Hi Krishna,

Posted by Krishna Agarwal <kr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justine,
Thanks for the feedback.

   1. I have added the name of the other image in the KIP.
   2. By experimental we mean the docker image is intended for local
   development and testing usage.
   GraalVM Native-Image tool is still in maturing stage, hence the usage of
   this image for production can’t be recommended.
   Regarding the upgrade, we will be running the existing System Tests
   covering upgrade(JVM to Native) and downgrade.

Regards,
Krishna

Posted by Justine Olshan <jo...@confluent.io.INVALID>.

Posted by Krishna Agarwal <kr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ismael Juma <me...@ismaeljuma.com>.
Hi Federico,

I suggest taking this conversation to KIP-975 and keeping this one to the
graalvm specifics.

Ismael

Posted by Krishna Agarwal <kr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the feedback.

I have updated the KIP with "kafka-native" as the accepted docker image
name.

Regards,
Krishna

Posted by Ismael Juma <me...@ismaeljuma.com>.

Posted by Manikumar <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Krishna Agarwal <kr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Manikumar,

Posted by Federico Valeri <fe...@gmail.com>.
Hi Krishna, thanks for the updates, LGTM.

Posted by Krishna Agarwal <kr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Federico,

Posted by Federico Valeri <fe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Manikumar <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Krishna Agarwal <kr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Federico,

Posted by Federico Valeri <fe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justine Olshan <jo...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Thanks Krishna. I will go ahead and vote.

Justine

Posted by Krishna Agarwal <kr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justine,

Posted by Justine Olshan <jo...@confluent.io.INVALID>.