Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/28 18:29:11 UTC

Page Number Question on Writer

Hello,

I'm finalizing my eBook manuscript on Writer. The only thing left to
do is set up Roman numeral page numbers for the first three pages
(title page, about the author and table of contents) - or possibly
only give the about the author and table of contents pages Roman
numerals - and then Arabic numerals for the rest. Also, the Arabic
numerals must start with 1.

As a second-best solution, I'm willing to have the first three pages
have no page numbers at all, as long as the rest have Arabic page
numbers starting with 1.

I've struggled with it and read over the relevant Help file more times
than I care to count. Any help you can offer would be much
appreciated. Thank you very kindly!

Jeff Deutsch
Speaker & Life Coach
A SPLINT - ASPies LInking with NTs
http://www.asplint.com

Your mood can affect how you read this e-mail. Please read it with a smile.
(http://tonecheck.com)

Re: Page Number Question on Writer

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Jeffrey,

Jeffrey Deutsch schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I'm finalizing my eBook manuscript on Writer. The only thing left to
> do is set up Roman numeral page numbers for the first three pages
> (title page, about the author and table of contents) - or possibly
> only give the about the author and table of contents pages Roman
> numerals - and then Arabic numerals for the rest. Also, the Arabic
> numerals must start with 1.

I don't know if it will work when converting to eBook, but for a Writer
document you need this:

The page number is a property of the page style. Therefore you need a
page style for each kind of page number. You can use the page styles
"First Page", "Index" and "Default" and alter them to your needs.

The set the cursor in the very beginning of that page, where a new kind
of numbering should start. Right click and call "Paragrah" (not "Edit
Paragraph style"). In the dialog page "Text flow" check Breaks Insert,
Type Page, Position Before. From the list With page style choose the
desired one. To continue page number counting set Page Number to 0, to
start a new counting, set it to 1.

The decision between Arabic or Roman is not here, but on the dialog page
"Page" of the page style properties. It is the list "Format" in the
section "Layout settings".

Do you understand German? Then you will find help in
http://www.ooowiki.de/UnterschiedlicheSeitenlayouts
http://www.ooowiki.de/SeitenNummerierung

I have not looked whether it is explained in the Writer Guide.
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications

Kind regards
Regina

Re: Page Number Question on Writer

Posted by VA <cu...@hotmail.com>.
I teach a class for paralegals in legal technology. I was utterly stunned
that the textbook did not include any information about styles in its
chapter on word processing. (Instead it explained the difference between
"save" and "save as.") So I included my own information about styles.

I wouldn't dream of writing a document without using styles. I will admit
that AOO's page styles take some getting used to, especially since its
completely foreign to the MS-Word model but once learned, they provide a
level of document control unmatched anywhere else.

Virgil

Posted by James Plante <ji...@me.com>.
Jeffrey,

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.

Posted by Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com>.
Doug, your suggestion worked - Thank you very much!

<forehead slap> "Why didn't *I* think of that?"

Dale, James, Regina and Rory, thank you also for your information. I'm
going to put it to good use.

(Regina, I'm sorry I don't read or speak German - despite what my
family name implies!)

I'm very glad to belong to this group!

Cheers,

Posted by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>.

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.
On 11/28/2012 12:56 PM, Jeffrey Deutsch wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Doug <dm...@optonline.net> wrote:
>> On 11/28/2012 12:29 PM, Jeffrey Deutsch wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm finalizing my eBook manuscript on Writer. The only thing left to
>>> do is set up Roman numeral page numbers for the first three pages
>>> (title page, about the author and table of contents) - or possibly
>>> only give the about the author and table of contents pages Roman
>>> numerals - and then Arabic numerals for the rest. Also, the Arabic
>>> numerals must start with 1.
>>>
>>> As a second-best solution, I'm willing to have the first three pages
>>> have no page numbers at all, as long as the rest have Arabic page
>>> numbers starting with 1.
>>>
>>> I've struggled with it and read over the relevant Help file more times
>>> than I care to count. Any help you can offer would be much
>>> appreciated. Thank you very kindly!
>>>
>>> Jeff Deutsch
>>> Speaker & Life Coach
>>> A SPLINT - ASPies LInking with NTs
>>> http://www.asplint.com
>>>

>> An obvious work-around for the second-best solution:  Make the first 3 pages
>> a separate file without page numbers.  Or just write the Roman numbers at
>> the
>> bottom of each page, using center justification. Then the remainder will be
>> its
>> own file with page numbers starting at 1.  Now you can have most of the
>> "best"
>> solution. Two files doesn't sound like all that big a deal.
>>
>> --doug

> Hi Doug,
>
> Actually, I'd've already submitted them in four separate files - thing
> is, the recipient strongly prefers the manuscript in one file only.
>
> Anything you can suggest under that constraint would really help.
>
> Thank you for your courtesy!
>
> Jeff Deutsch
> Speaker & Life Coach
> A SPLINT - ASPies LInking with NTs
> http://www.asplint.com
>
> Your mood can affect how you read this e-mail. Please read it with a smile.
> (http://tonecheck.com)

       Page styles will give exactly what you want. The Writer Guide
discusses this topic rather thoroughly:
http://www.odfauthors.org/openoffice.org/english/userguide3/writer3/WG3_published

       What you want is either WriterGuideV3-PDF.zip
<http://www.odfauthors.org/openoffice.org/english/userguide3/writer3/WG3_published/WriterGuideV3-PDF.zip/view>
or
File 0200WG3-WriterGuide.odt
<http://www.odfauthors.org/openoffice.org/english/userguide3/writer3/WG3_published/0200WG3-WriterGuide.odt/view>.

--Dan

Re: Page Number Question on Writer

Posted by Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>.
I did my book using a master document to collect all of the individual
parts of the book, i.e. preface, intro, table of contents (all with
lower case roman numeral page numbers) and each chapter, starting with
arabic page number 1. It's a little tedious to set up, but once it's set
up it's a breeze.

When  I'm editing the individual pieces (files), each file begins with
either  i  or  1  but when I open the master document, it collects all
the individual files and the front matter is numbered consecutively
beginning with  i  and the body is numbered consecutively beginning with  1.

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 12:29:11 -0500
Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm finalizing my eBook manuscript on Writer. The only thing left to
> do is set up Roman numeral page numbers for the first three pages
> (title page, about the author and table of contents) - or possibly
> only give the about the author and table of contents pages Roman
> numerals - and then Arabic numerals for the rest. Also, the Arabic
> numerals must start with 1.
>
> As a second-best solution, I'm willing to have the first three pages
> have no page numbers at all, as long as the rest have Arabic page
> numbers starting with 1.
>
> I've struggled with it and read over the relevant Help file more times
> than I care to count. Any help you can offer would be much
> appreciated. Thank you very kindly!

Page numbering Tutorial on the Forun at
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1221
should answer most questions.

You need to use two different page styles, as pagenumbering in Header or Footer is a page style attribute.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>