Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by vsmingren <07...@bjtu.edu.cn> on 2009/10/22 12:06:11 UTC

How to develop webapps of hadoop?

Dear friends:

	I'm a student of the Bjtu university in China.

	I have learned Hadoop for some days. I find that the webapps of Hadoop,
such as hdfs webapps(http://localhost:50070), are not easy to use and
their functions are so few.

	I want develop some new webapps base on Web 2.0, making it easier to
interact and more flexible and having more functions.

	I'm familiar with Java Jsp Struts2.0 Spring and so on. I am confident
to complete it. But now I meet some problem.

	Because I am always using Tomcat as Web Server, I don't know where the
hadoop server is located.
	1. I modified the file(hadoop/webapps/hdfs/WEB-INF/web.xml) and add
class to hadoop-0.19.2-core.jar, but it doesn't work.
	2. I modified index.html. But when I input http://localhost:50070 into
browse address, it show the original page.

	I really don't how to begin. Can you help me?
	1. What should I learn?
	2. How to develop these webapps?
	3. I'll appreciate it if you tell how to develop these webapps with
struts 2.0?

	I'm looking forward to your reply.
	Thank you very much.

Yours

Zhiyuan Man

Re: How to develop webapps of hadoop?

Posted by Jay Booth <ja...@gmail.com>.
Seems like better webapps could be developed independently of Cloudera
desktop, people won't necessarily have the GUI installed everywhere, or at
all..

Zhiyuan, the hadoop webapps are run out of an embedded jetty instance that's
started by NameNode, DataNode, JobTracker and TaskTracker at startup time --
the daemon starts a jetty httpserver with the given WEB-INF directory and
configures it at runtime.  struts 2.0 is probably a bit heavyweight, maybe
you could ask around as far as what kinds of features people would like to
see, or suggest a few, and get an idea of what to build?  Maybe something
simple to start?

Posted by Ashutosh Chauhan <as...@gmail.com>.