Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com> on 2008/06/13 01:13:58 UTC

Logging config broken?

Hi,

I wanted to set Sling's general log level to DEBUG, but it stays at
INFO level, no matter what I do. I tried to change sling.properties to

org.apache.sling.commons.log.intialize = true
org.apache.sling.commons.log.level = DEBUG

and restarted the server. I also set the configuration in the sling
console under "Sling Logging Logger Configuration", where log level is
now DEBUG (config is persisted), but nothing changed.

Is this just a misconfiguration due to changes by
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-525 or a bug?

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek
alexander.klimetschek@day.com

Re: Logging config broken?

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Sorry for the confusion. This is caused by broken the Configuration
Admin plugin of the Web Console being broken. There have already been
submitted a list of bugs with respect to this plugin and I am currently
working on rewriting this plugin.

Regards
Felix

Re: Logging config broken?

Re: Logging config broken?

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Am Freitag, den 13.06.2008, 15:13 +0200 schrieb Alexander Klimetschek:
> Thanks, it works now. Only changing "Sling Logging Configuration
> (org.apache.sling.commons.log.LogManager)" worked,

This is the global configuration

>  changing the log
> level in "Sling Logging Logger Configuration
> (org.apache.sling.commons.log.LogManager.factory.config)" did have no

This is a factory configuration support which I built in yesterday. This
is still to be documented....

Regards
Felix

Re: Logging config broken?

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com>.
Thanks, it works now. Only changing "Sling Logging Configuration
(org.apache.sling.commons.log.LogManager)" worked, changing the log

Re: Logging config broken?

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Logging config broken?

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Am Freitag, den 13.06.2008, 01:13 +0200 schrieb Alexander Klimetschek:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to set Sling's general log level to DEBUG, but it stays at
> INFO level, no matter what I do. I tried to change sling.properties to
>
> org.apache.sling.commons.log.intialize = true

Logging is always configured. This property is ignored (and support for
it has been removed).

> org.apache.sling.commons.log.level = DEBUG

This should actually do the trick on setting DEBUG level on restart -
unless some other log level is declared on the command line or system
properties.

> and restarted the server. I also set the configuration in the sling
> console under "Sling Logging Logger Configuration", where log level is
> now DEBUG (config is persisted), but nothing changed.

This should do the trick.

> Is this just a misconfiguration due to changes by
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-525 or a bug?

I checked it out right now and get the following dump in my log:

13.06.2008 07:44:22.647 *ERROR* [Configuration Updater]
org.apache.felix.configadmin Updating configuration property
org.apache.sling.commons.log.names caused a problem: Missing categories
in configuration org.apache.sling.commons.log.LogManager
(org.osgi.service.cm.ConfigurationException:
org.apache.sling.commons.log.names : Missing categories in configuration
org.apache.sling.commons.log.LogManager)
org.osgi.service.cm.ConfigurationException:
org.apache.sling.commons.log.names : Missing categories in configuration
org.apache.sling.commons.log.LogManager
        at
org.apache.sling.commons.log.slf4j.LogConfigManager.updateLoggerConfiguration(LogConfigManager.java:388)
        at org.apache.sling.commons.log.LogManager
$GlobalConfigurator.updated(LogManager.java:180)
        at org.apache.felix.cm.impl.ConfigurationManager
$UpdateConfiguration.run(ConfigurationManager.java:1125)
        at
org.apache.felix.cm.impl.UpdateThread.run(UpdateThread.java:90)

So, this is definitely a bug. SLING-529.

Thanks for reporting.

Regards
Felix