Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Myrle Krantz <mk...@mifos.org> on 2015/12/31 13:49:30 UTC

How to get our processes bootstrapped

Hi Fins,

We've been having discussions about what processes we want, but we haven't
agreed yet on how to institute processes or how to change them once we've
instituted them.  I've put my thoughts on the matter into a short document
here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/Changing+Processes

I'd love to read your opinions on the matter too.

Greets from Germany,
Myrle

*Myrle Krantz*
Solutions Architect
RɅĐɅЯ, The Mifos Initiative
mkrantz@mifos.org | Skype: mkrantz.mifos.org | http://mifos.org

Re: How to get our processes bootstrapped

Posted by Myrle Krantz <mk...@mifos.org>.
Hi guys,

'Tis the nature of democracy that you will vote for winning proposals more
often then you will vote for losing proposals.  But you will occasionally
vote for a loser. Based on your three vetoes ;o) I've adjusted the
document.  Any objections to it's current form?

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/Changing+Processes

Greets,

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 4:49 AM, Myrle Krantz <mk...@mifos.org> wrote:
> Hi Fins,
>
> We've been having discussions about what processes we want, but we haven't
> agreed yet on how to institute processes or how to change them once we've
> instituted them.  I've put my thoughts on the matter into a short document
> here:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/Changing+Processes
>
> I'd love to read your opinions on the matter too.

In general, my strong advise to any young community is to avoid formal votes
as a plague. At its core ASF runs on natural, not forced consensus. Any time
there's a natural consensus -- you really don't need a vote. Any time
there's a formal vote as a forcing function to a consensus -- you
inevitably end up
creating winners and losers. You really don't need that. At least not while the
community is still young (and even when it grows up -- you don't
*really* need it).

My second point is that documenting practices is good, but creating bylaws or
anything resembling a formal governance documents is typically a bad idea
for the same reasons I've outlined in the first paragraph.

Once again: ASF is a doocracy. You don't need permissions -- not much of them
anyway. You JFDI most of things around here and then if how you did it turns
to be a repeatable pattern you document it (or somebody else does).

Thanks,
Roman.