Posted to announce@apache.org by Tim Allison <ta...@apache.org> on 2018/09/19 12:49:50 UTC

[CVE-2018-8017] Apache Tika Denial of Service Vulnerability -- Potential Infinite Loop in IptcAnpaParser

CVE-2018-8017: Apache Tika Denial of Service Vulnerability --
Potential Infinite Loop in IptcAnpaParser

Severity: Medium

Vendor:
The Apache Software Foundation

Versions Affected:
Apache Tika 1.2 to 1.18

A carefully crafted file can trigger an infinite loop in Apache Tika's
IptcAnpaParser.

Mitigation:
Apache Tika users should upgrade to 1.19 or later.

Credit:
This issue was discovered by Tobias Ospelt of modzero AG.

Re: [CVE-2018-8017] Apache Tika Denial of Service Vulnerability -- Potential Infinite Loop in IptcAnpaParser

Posted by Tim Allison <ta...@apache.org>.
All,
  I got the credit wrong for this issue.  Rohan Padhye first
identified this vulnerability to the Tika team.  Tobias Ospelt
independently discovered it slightly later.

Credit:
This issue was discovered independently using JQF
(https://github.com/rohanpadhye/jqf), first by Rohan Padhye at the
University of California,
Berkeley and later by Tobias Ospelt of modzero AG.

Posted by Tim Allison <ta...@apache.org>.
All,