Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by co...@covalent.net on 2002/03/01 02:36:46 UTC

RE: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/coyote/src/java/org/apache/coyote/tomcat4 CoyoteConnector.java CoyoteProcessor.java

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> Do you think coyote could be ever used with Tomcat 3.3 ?
> ie: works with JDK 1.1, support TC 3.3 via modules....

Again: tomcat3.3 _doesn't_ require all modules to support
JDK1.1 ! The only requirement is to have the basic
functionality ( of a servlet container ) working on JDK1.1,
and we already have that.

There are quite a few optional modules in 3.3 that require
1.2 - sandbox, thread loader, etc. As long as the
core is JDK1.1 compatible, things are going to be ok.

> JK/JK2 are available for both TC 3.3/4.x, it could be fine to
> have also a common HTTP connector for them and coyote seems
> to be the perfect candidate :)

Well, we already have 4 HTTP/1.1 connectors for 3.3 :-)
But I agree it would be good if Coyote would share more with
jk - right now they use the low level stuff, but it would
be trivial to integrate them a bit more and share the
same connector ( the Request impl. - which will require
quite a bit of work to optimize for 4.x ).

Costin

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
> > The request is slightly different at the moment, but that's because I
don't
> > know what I need (so sorry, I'm not using your BaseRequest for the first
> > version). The Catalina adapter will be a full reimplementation of the
> > o.a.c.connector package (which has issues), and will use facaded
> > request/response objects.
> > So I'm doing the optimization work for you here.
>
> Thanks :-)
>
> The Catalina adapter in jk is refactored and optimized a bit in jk2,

Yes, I saw it. It's indeed better already.

> but I would be very happy to not have to spend time on this and I'm
> sure you'll do a much better implementation for 4.0 :-)

I'm not sure it will be that much better. I'll try to do some lazy
evaluations for everything.

> It would be nice to avoid too many layers/adapters, but for start
> it would be resonably easy to implement a JkHandler that delegates
> to your Request.

"My" request may evolve to be your request in the next version, so maybe not
much work at all will be needed. We'll see about that soon (hopefully).

> For now this is not a major issue, the current code seems ok, but
> in time it would be good to not duplicate the work, it's not
> that much fun to optimize the same thing too many times :-)

Yes.

Remy

Posted by co...@covalent.net.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, GOMEZ Henri wrote:
>
> > Do you think coyote could be ever used with Tomcat 3.3 ?
> > ie: works with JDK 1.1, support TC 3.3 via modules....
>
> Again: tomcat3.3 _doesn't_ require all modules to support
> JDK1.1 ! The only requirement is to have the basic
> functionality ( of a servlet container ) working on JDK1.1,
> and we already have that.
>
> There are quite a few optional modules in 3.3 that require
> 1.2 - sandbox, thread loader, etc. As long as the
> core is JDK1.1 compatible, things are going to be ok.

Anyway, it should be JDK 1.1 compliant.

> > JK/JK2 are available for both TC 3.3/4.x, it could be fine to
> > have also a common HTTP connector for them and coyote seems
> > to be the perfect candidate :)
>
> Well, we already have 4 HTTP/1.1 connectors for 3.3 :-)

I think he meant *JAVA* HTTP/1.1 connectors here.
:-)