Posted to muse-user@ws.apache.org by MUSEME <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2007/06/12 16:40:00 UTC

Muse Resource not initialized

I've built the httpd muse interface using the sample MYCAPABILITY and have
started and stopped it using a test client.  However I have been unable to
do anything that is resource related.  For example, I keep getting
java.lang.NullPointerException when I try to access the manager variable
using the following code snippet:
  ResourceManager manager = getResource().getResourceManager();
BTW, the following also doesn't work:
  ResourceManager manager = getEnvironment().getResourceManager();
There is no getResourceManager method from getEnvironment().
I have to call mycapability initialize() method from my client because it is
not loaded by Apache muse. Also the resource "hhtp-server" associated with
my resource context path subsequently doesn't get created since the manage
variable returns NullPointerException.
  Resource resource = manager.createResource("http-server");
I have also tried using the SimpleResource class getEnvironment() and
getResourceManager() methods, both of which return null values.
Also the
 String installDir = getInitializationParameter("httpd-install-dir")
returns null although I have the "httpd-install-dir" specified in the
muse.xml.  I have been forced to subsequently hardcode the actual value of
httpd-install-dir.  It is obvious that the muse environment is not
initialized.  Any help would be appreciated. I have exhausted all my
options.

Re: Muse Resource not initialized

Posted by Bogdan Solomon <bs...@ncct.uottawa.ca>.

MUSEME wrote:

> Hi Bogdan.  Here are the answers to your questions:
> 1) No errors were found in the catalina.log file, just the foll. INFO
> items, not sure if they mean anything
>    INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=0/30  config=null
>    INFO: The Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance
> in production environments        was not found on the java.library.path:

That should not be a problem.

MUSEME wrote:

> 2) Here is how I call initialize from my client:
>      // create EPR for test resource
>      URI address =
> URI.create("http://localhost:8080/http-management/services/http-server");
>      EndpointReference epr = new EndpointReference(address);
>      MyCapability http = new MyCapability(epr);
>      //http.setTrace(true);
>      try
>      { http.initialize();}
>      catch (Throwable error)
>      {error.printStackTrace();}
>
> And here is the code snippet of MyCapability
>    public class MyCapability extends AbstractWsResourceCapability
> implements IMyCapability   {
>     public MyCapability (EndpointReference arg0) {
>          new WsResourceClient(arg0);
>     }
>     public void initialize()
> 	throws SoapFault
>     {	//super.initialize();   -  Commented out as this does not work
>         // Commented out getInitializationParameter as I get the foll.
> exception
>         // java.lang.NullPointerException at
> //org.apache.muse.core.AbstractCapability.getInitializationParameter
> //(AbstractCapability.java:105)
>         //String installDir =
> getInitializationParameter("httpd-install-dir");
>         String installDir = "C:\\Program Files\\Apache Software
> Foundation\\Apache2.2";
>         Map configParams = null;
> 	try
> 	{ configParams = readConfigFile(installDir+"\\conf\\httpd.conf");}
> 	catch (IOException error)
> 	{ throw new SoapFault("Error while reading httpd.conf.", error);
>            //throw new IOException("Error while reading httpd.conf.",
> error);	}
>         _ServerName = (String)configParams.get("ServerName");
> 	String portString = (String)configParams.get("Listen");
> 	String threadsString = (String)configParams.get("ThreadsPerChild");
> 	_PortNumber = Integer.valueOf(portString);
> 	_ThreadsPerChild = Integer.valueOf(threadsString);
>
>         // The following statement fails with
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         ResourceManager manager = getResource().getResourceManager();
>         ..}

That looks wrong, as mentioned by Vinh. The way Muse works is that you have
your resource on the server, which has some capabilities. You can not call
initialize by yourself, as that should be done by the Axis2 container and
the Muse container your resource is running in. The resource basically gets
initialized the first time it receives an invocation. What you need to do is
this:

1. Build your resource and capabilities. Normally you start with the .wsdl
file and you pass it through Muse's wsdl2java. You then implement your
capabilites, make the .war and deploy it (this should be possible via the
build.xml generated by muse.

2. You than take your wsdl file and use wsdl2java to generate a proxy for
it. Make a small tester program that generates a proxy based on your epr,and
than make an invocation for one of the capabilities. When something connects
for the first time to the resource, it will initialize it and its
capabilities. You should not be able to call initialize from your client.
Also you will need the super.initialize() as without it, the capability will
not be initialized correctly.

MUSEME wrote:

> 3) The application is built on Axis2.
>
> Not sure if this is relevant but when I list "http-server" URI services
> from Axis2, I see the foll:
>
>  http-server
>  Service EPR : http://localhost:8080/http-management/services/http-server
>  Service REST epr : http://localhost:8080/http-management/rest/http-server
>
> I then click on the http-server hyperlink and get the foll. error:
>
>   <error>
> <description>Unable to generate WSDL for this service</description>
> −
> 	<reason>
> If you wish Axis2 to automatically generate the WSDL, then please use one
> of the RPC message receivers for the service(s)/operation(s) in
> services.xml. If you have added a custom WSDL in the META-INF directory,
> then please make sure that the name of the service in services.xml
> (/serviceGroup/service/@name) is the same as in the custom wsdl's service
> name (/wsdl:definitions/wsdl:service/@name).
> </reason>
> </error>

That looks correct. It's not an error, just the behaviour of the Axis2
container I assume.

RE: Muse Resource not initialized

Posted by MUSEME <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for all your help.  I set up my test client as you outlined so that I
can invoke the capability from the client side.  On running the test client,
I try to start the httpd, but Tomcat 6.0 indicates that it cannot find the
Capability class with the following error message displayed in the Tomcat
DOS console

java.lang.RuntimeException: [ID = 'JavaClassNotFound'] The Java class
specified was not found: com.example.www.http_server.MyCapability. Make sure
the correct class or .jar file is in the classpath.

I'm not sure why I am getting this error.
My CLASSPATH contains the http_management.jar (which contains the
MyCapability class)
and the
$TOMCAT_HOME\webapps\http-management\WEB-INF\lib  also contains hte
http_management.jar file

My JAVA_HOME variable is set as follows:
>echo %JAVA_HOME%
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_01

Vinh Nguyen (vinguye2) wrote:

> I believe you are using Muse incorrectly.  The capability classes are
> server-side artifacts, and based on the muse.xml configuration, Muse will
> automatically load them with the associated resource.
>
> In your case, you are attempting to manually instantiate a capability from
> a client, which will not have any resources loaded with it.  If you want
> to invoke a server resource operation, you need to create a client proxy
> to connnect to the resource.
>
> Taking a step back, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?  If you are
> trying to create a server-side capability to read the Apache httpd.conf
> file:
> 1) Create the custom capability and override the initialize() method to
> read the file
> 2) Add the capability reference to your muse.xml for your resource
> 3) Deploy your server app, and let Muse load your resource and
> capabilities.  Muse will invoke initialize() on each capability, which
> will then invoke your code.
>
> To invoke your capability from the client side:
> 1) Generate a client-side proxy to your resource (i.e. Run wsdl2java
> -proxy on your resource wsdl)
> 2) Create a test program that uses your proxy, and sends the SOAP request
> to the remote server resource.

        // The following statement fails with java.lang.NullPointerException

Posted by MUSEME <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Bogdan Solomon <bs...@ncct.uottawa.ca>.
Can you check your server log and make sure that there are no errors related
to the Axis2 container initialization. Also, how do you call initialize from
your client?