Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com> on 2014/01/14 04:00:39 UTC

HBase connection hangs

Hi,

whatever combination of lines below I use, the code always hangs on
connecting to HBase (last line). I am almost dead from attempts to make it
work.

Thank you very much.

Mark

                hBaseConfig.addResource(new
Path("/etc/hbase/conf/hbase-site.xml"));
                hBaseConfig.set("hbase.zookeeper.quorum", "mark-7");
                hBaseConfig.set("hbase.zookeeper.property.clientPort",
"2181");
                table = new HTable(hBaseConfig, "mytable");

RE: HBase connection hangs

Posted by java8964 <ja...@hotmail.com>.
Hi, Ted:
Our environment is using a distribution from a Vendor, so it is not easy just to patch it myself.
But I can seek the option to see if the vendor is willing to patch it in next release.
Before I do that, I just want to make sure patching the code is the ONLY solution.
I read the source code of Hive 0.9.0 of HiveHBaseTableInputFormat. I didn't see any place it invoked scan.setCaching(), so I don't think "set hbase.client.scanner.caching" in the hive session will work, but that is just my guess. There are quite a lot of messages on the internet that it will work in this case, so it confused me.
What I want to confirm is that "set hbase.client.scanner.caching" in fact doesn't work in hive for scan.setCaching(). Is that true?
Thanks
Yong

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 19:31:38 -0800
Subject: Re: Hive + Hbase scanning performance
From: yuzhihong@gmail.com
To: user@hbase.apache.org

You can patch HIVE-3603 into your deployment so that you can make use of
scan.setCacheBlocks(false).

Cheers

RE: HBase connection hangs

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 19:31:38 -0800
From: yuzhihong@gmail.com
To: user@hbase.apache.org

RE: HBase connection hangs

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 19:31:38 -0800
From: yuzhihong@gmail.com
To: user@hbase.apache.org

Re: HBase connection hangs

Posted by Samir Ahmic <ah...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,
Base on this exception:

   1. 1862 [pool-2-thread-1] WARN
    org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.RecoverableZooKeeper  - Possibly
   transient ZooKeeper, quorum=mark-7:2181,
   exception=org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException$ConnectionLossException:
   KeeperErrorCode = ConnectionLoss for /hbase/hbaseid

look like you client is loosing connection with zookeeper. Check your code
for places where you closing connection to zookeeper. Also you may try to
restart zookeeper. Is your hbase woking properly ? What hbase hbck says ?

This exception:
014-01-13 23:11:47,803 [myid:] - WARN  [NIOServerCxn.Factory:
0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:2181:NIOServerCnxn@349] - caught end of stream exception
EndOfStreamException: Unable to read additional data from client sessionid
0x1438f2725950005, likely client has closed socket

again indicate that something is going on when client is closing connection
to ZK server.

Cheers
Samir

Re: HBase connection hangs

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.
Ted,

here is what I see in the zookeeper log. Again, thank you for your help.

Mark

014-01-13 23:11:47,803 [myid:] - WARN  [NIOServerCxn.Factory:
0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:2181:NIOServerCnxn@349] - caught end of stream exception
EndOfStreamException: Unable to read additional data from client sessionid
0x1438f2725950005, likely client has closed socket
        at
org.apache.zookeeper.server.NIOServerCnxn.doIO(NIOServerCnxn.java:220)
        at
org.apache.zookeeper.server.NIOServerCnxnFactory.run(NIOServerCnxnFactory.java:208)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

RE: HBase connection hangs

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 19:31:38 -0800
From: yuzhihong@gmail.com
To: user@hbase.apache.org