Posted to cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org by EP...@upstate.com on 2002/11/07 20:04:05 UTC

Testing Turbine Actions and Screens vs Web Pages

Hi all,

I want to test some of my various Turbine pages.  I think I understand that
I want to extend the Servlet test stuff to test my individual actions and
other code that relies on the Turbine framework.

However, if I want to test the pages produced by Turbine, what would I use?
I want to validate that if  I make choice A, I get result A.  Make choice B
on my dropdown, get Result B.

Does anyone have any sample code and would this be better posted to the
Turbine-user list?

Eric Pugh

RE: Testing Turbine Actions and Screens vs Web Pages

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.
Hi Eric,

I don't have much experience with Turbine. Cactus let you get inside the
container and get container objects. Now if you're testing a layer above
that, like Turbine (or Struts for that matter), you have 2 options I
guess:
- use mock objects to create Turbine objects
- let the Turbine application execute, thus creating the objects for
you. That solution is closer to the Cactus spirit as it lets you perform
integration unit tests. However, this requires knowledge about Turbine
which I don't have. The spirit is the same as the one used by the
StrutsTestCase case extension to Cactus (StrutsTestCase actually
implements both strategies).

I know that Jetspeed is using Cactus for some of their unit tests. Dunno
if it may help.

In any case, if you come up with some utility classes that helps unit
testing Turbine with Cactus, I will be happy to host them as an
extension inside the Cactus project.

Thanks
-Vincent