Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/13 04:06:05 UTC

I'm completely baffled by these documentation build errors on Apache Jenkins

From staring at it for several hours, I've learned basically nothing.

The build goes to run 'ant clean all' in the docs/trunk, and the only
output is a Java usage message:

[trunk] $ /home/jenkins/tools/ant/latest/bin/ant -verbose -lib
/home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/workspace/Derby-docs/trunk/lib clean all
Usage: java [-options] class [args...]
           (to execute a class)
   or  java [-options] -jar jarfile [args...]
           (to execute a jar file)

What I've tried so far:
1) Changing the JDK used by the build from JDK 1.7 to JDK 1.8
2) Adding '-verbose' to the ant command
3) Removing '-l antoutput.log' from the ant command

None of these has provided me with any more clues.

It seems like the 'ant' shell script isn't successfully able to invoke the
underlying Java executor.

But we haven't changed anything about this part of our docs build in at
least a year.

So I'm stumped.

bryan

Re: I'm completely baffled by these documentation build errors on Apache Jenkins

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 9:28 PM, Kristian Waagan <kr...@apache.org>
wrote:

> I see the ant plugin was changed / updated from 1.4 to 1.5 on the 25th of
> May, but I don't know if that is a problem since the build is running so
> seldom these days.

Thanks Kristian, that is a really interesting data point.

Perhaps we were breaking the ant plugin's rules in some subtle way, but
with the older plugin we were getting lucky and it worked.

I'll continue to keep an eye on this build and see if it misbehaves in the
future.

Posted by Kristian Waagan <kr...@apache.org>.
Hi Bryan,

I see the ant plugin was changed / updated from 1.4 to 1.5 on the 25th of
May, but I don't know if that is a problem since the build is running so
seldom these days.
Could it be that one of the targets specified is being passed directly to
the underlying JVM due to a change in how they are processed by the plugin?

Kristian

tir. 13. jun. 2017 kl. 06:06 skrev Bryan Pendleton <