Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Will Stevens <sw...@apache.org> on 2017/03/27 12:09:13 UTC

S3 as Secondary Storage

Hey All,
If anyone is using S3 as Secondary Storage in production (or even testing
at this point), please respond to this thread.

We have been using Swift in production for the last couple years and I
think we have worked out most of the kinks.  Not all of our fixes have been
pushed upstream yet because the Swift and S3 integrations are very
intertwined and we did not want to break the S3 implementation with our
Swift fixes.

We would like to get a sense of the stability of the S3 implementation to
see if it is also a good option as an object based secondary storage.

Thanks,

*Will Stevens*

Re: S3 as Secondary Storage

Posted by Will Stevens <sw...@apache.org>.
Thanks Wido.  Yes, we have the same 'outdated' SDK being used issue for
Swift as well.  It is embedded in the code and it is ancient.  I have not
had a chance to get in there and update to a recent library.

We upgraded our setup from 4.4 -> 4.7 and we are in the process of
validating 4.10 as our next release base.

We have also found the 'upload to object store, then download again right
away' to be slow and very inefficient.  We have considered reimplementing
that logic, but we have not gotten to it yet.

I will be interested to hear how things go with 4.9.

Thanks for the feedback Wido.  :)

*Will Stevens*

Re: S3 as Secondary Storage

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.